Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: A muzzleloader tale - cap to flint conversion  (Read 1667 times)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
A muzzleloader tale - cap to flint conversion
« on: July 04, 2017, 08:41:36 AM »
A feller at ALR posted a Pedersoli Frontier rifle up for sale, .36 caliber, 39" barrel, DST, specifying it was a flintlock and the condition was excellent.  No images.  On a lark, I emailed him and showed him an image of the Frontier flintlock.  He said, yep, that's it.  I bought it sight unseen for $525 shipped.

Three dayze later a large wooden box arrives at my door - gosh darn, excellent packing!  22 screws removed and then the thick bubble wrapped peeled back, there she was, and what a beauty ... 'cept it was a caplock and not a flintlock.  Yikes!!

Now I'm not at all a fan of caplocks, so this beauty had to go back.  But she's so purty ... so I get to thinking, which as some of y'all know gets me in trouble all too sooner than later.  I contact Pedersoli and ask about the Frontier and they confirmed my suspicions that this rifle was built as both flint and cap on the same design spex, so that a cap or flint lock was interchangeable with the ignition system's mortise.  The bolster/snail thread size is also the same as the touch hole screw size, M8x1.25 ... hmmm, things are looking better about this gun.

Anyhoo, the seller was running ragged with personal issues and fully admitted to his mistake and rebated me $75 for my trouble.  For sure I was gonna keep the gun and I did.

First thing is to see if the bolster can be removed (and while I'm at it, the breech, too).  This can be an issue with some offshore guns, including Pedersoli.  No problem for me and my 18" Reed Corp flat jawed wrench and my Rice Barrel Co. breech wrench, both came off easy peasy.  The barrel is held on by three screws - the big and long breech tang bolt and (this is ingenious) each brass thimble is screwed into underlugs inserted into the barrel, thus pinning the barrel to the stock and the thimbles. 

Pedersoli sells the replacement flint lock for $212, touch hole inserts are $5.  However, L&R sells a "drop in" replacement lock for the Frontier rifle - the RPL-06F - for $175, and I think the L&R locks are probably gonna be better than the Pedersoli, so the RPL-06F is now on order along with a few touch hole liners.  This oughta be a fun makeover ... I hope!

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
Re: A muzzleloader tale - cap to flint conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
Good for you Rob! Looks like you'll be up and shootn in no time.Nice lookn rifle. :toast
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 01:02:35 PM »
I put an L&R RPL lock on my T-C Pennsylvania Hunter, and had to do a bunch of filing and fitting to get it lined up right with the touch hole.  I made the mistake of taking off wood to fit the lock and then it didn't line up very well.  Then I had to file on the lock plate, and ended up filling in the gaps I had caused with colored bedding compound.  In the end it works, but isn't very pretty.  from that experience I suggest that you make sure to position the lock so the pan lines up correctly with the touch hole liner, then file the lock plate edges to fit the mortise.  But the L&R is a dandy, you won't be disappointed!

~WH~

NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 02:40:26 PM »
ive done 3, maybe 4 L&R RPL-05F swap in locks for GPR's and all required lots of inlet work, due to the GPR coil spring as opposed the flat main spring.  this one should/might be easier as it's flat to flat for the main spring.  but, i'll see ... bottom line is i can make it work one way or t'other.

Offline B62+

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 03:44:09 PM »
Have to L&R RPL's one for a CVA which is right handed and the other for Lyman which is left handed and I really like them both. :hairy

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 04:23:48 PM »
I converted a Pedersoli Frontier from cap to flint with a L&R lock from Track of the Wolf. The lock fit the mortise just about perfectly and needed just a bit of minor filing in a spot or two. However, the lock plate needed a good polishing. 
Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 04:35:05 PM »
good scoop to hear, semi - thanx for posting that, gives me hope it'll be a piece of cake ... any swap's gotta be easier than doin the RPL05 for a GPR - that takes a lot of tinkering and hogging out of stock wood!

didja have any issues with the touch hole liner mating up propery with the lock's pan, for the "sunset location"?  that also can be critical.

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 05:32:43 PM »
Rob, great way to spend your 4th of July!  :bl th up
You have always done great work, no matter what the project, and that is a good thing!

I would love to have that "18" Reed Corp flat jawed wrench and your Rice Barrel Co. breech wrench".
I have seen several pictures in the past of you using that set-up, and I've 'threatened' no less than a dozen times to just go ahead and get that very same thing.....however, getrdone just ain't gettin done!
(On the other hand, as you well know, things have not gone quite as planned for sometime around my house, but that will surely change.)

Anyway, I installed a L&R Rpl and a Davis DST on a old Renegade caplock platform for my .58 Big Boar bbl, and I am pleased to report that even after removing all that wood, it works just great.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 05:39:54 PM »
I think you made out just fine.  :toast
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 05:47:11 PM »
russ, unlike with investarms guns, i was a bit lucky with the pedersoli for gettin off the snail and breech but it didn't hurt having those wrenches on hand.  since all the offshore offerings don't anti-seize lube breechs, snails, vent liners, once they're off and properly lubed then getting 'em off at some future date is rather easy with a sized crescent or pipe wrench.

anyhoo, worked on the GPR .50 today as well, pulled the breech, cleaned it all out, rasped and sanded the stock, even got an initial coat of tru-oil on it.  life's good so far.  :applaud  :bl th up

trust you and the rest of the TMA are having a happy 4th!

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 05:57:25 PM »
 :hairy

You are one busy man, even on a supposedly day off!  :bow

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 06:01:04 PM »
too dang much traffic to truck out to the kids, we stayed home, worked the guns and the garden.  ;D

tonight we'll check out the town fireworks from our back yard, they put on a good show and lotsa holy black will get touched off!  :applaud :wave

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 02:57:10 AM »
I have nothing against converting a repro from percussion to flint .But one thing I am against is reconverting a original back to flint it is against the history of the gun they never look the same and are mostly done for financial gain . SAVE THE DRUM AND NIPPLE .
Feltwad

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 05:33:18 AM »
if an original was converted from flint to cap i'd say a sacrilege was already committed.  :Doh!

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 07:46:50 AM »
When a original was converted to percussion  it was for a better ignition  but today when it is converted back is mostly for financial gain which is destroying the guns heritage
Feltwad