Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Shooting Patch & Ball From A 12 ga. Smoothbore  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Axe

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #117
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration 8/5/2019
Shooting Patch & Ball From A 12 ga. Smoothbore
« on: October 15, 2017, 12:11:23 PM »
My plan is to compete (?) in the 2018 postal match and try my hand at using the TVM Fowler for the October target. Any suggestions as to patch and ball combinations?
Axe
TMA Member Number 117, Expires 10/15/2019

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Shooting Patch & Ball From A 12 ga. Smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 12:54:25 PM »
Sorry Axe, I don't have any info for you as I'm just a Rookie 24 ga. (.58 cal) Smoothbore user myself with the NWTG I bought from Rollingb at Rendezvous this past Summer.  However, I expect it won't be long before you get an answer to your question.   :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 01:41:08 PM »
It's a case of shoot and try finding a ball load for a smoothy. I usually end up using a patched ball but my tradegun likes a naked ball with a normal wad column.

Despite some advice to the contrary, I have always found that the best groups are with balls near bore diameter.

IronHand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 02:13:40 PM »
My plan is to compete (?) in the 2018 postal match and try my hand at using the TVM Fowler for the October target. Any suggestions as to patch and ball combinations?
Axe
There are lots of combinations of various loads and loading methods you can try in your smoothbore to see what shoots best.
One must always remember,.... that every barrel is an animal of it's own and what works best in one barrel may (or may not) work as well in an identical barrel.
That being as it may, it might take a while to find the ideal load for your particular barrel.

Some smoothbores like a patched ball load, while others may shoot more accurately with wadding and a bare ball. Even the type of "wadding" varies, as some barrels prefer wadding such as wasp nest material or wads made of "tow". Still others may prefer wads cut from felt, or card-board such as milk cartons. Some barrels might even shoot better with a "combination" of the things listed above.

In my personal opinion, a smoothbore will shoot about anything you can stuff down it's bore (reasonably well), which makes it more versatile than rifled bores, but at the expense of "effective range".
Personally,.... I find that I have to burn a lot more powder to find a good load for a smooth bore (with all of it's variables), than powder burnt to find an accurate load in a rifled bore.

As with others here (I'm sure),.... I think half of the fun in finding a good load for a particular smooth bore is the time spent shooting and playing with all the different variables, such as ball size, wads/wadding, and powder charge.

I'm sorry if my ramblin' doesn't exactly answer your question, but anyone working with just one smooth bore has a big advantage over someone (like me) who is looking for the "ideal load" for 5 of these critters and limited time for "fun at the range".

Hopefully others with more "enlightening" info than I have to offer, will share what they know about these interestin' pieces of history and how to get the utmost accuracy out of them,.... although (from the historical research I've done) accuracy didn't seem to be a top priority when usin' smooth bores in the past.  :bl th up

"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Axe

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 09:50:10 PM »
Using a ball with no patch, and loading it similar to turkey hunting i.e. powder, over powder card, felt wad, shot, over shot card. Would substituting a ball for the shot work?

Online Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 11:50:08 PM »
Using a ball with no patch, and loading it similar to turkey hunting i.e. powder, over powder card, felt wad, shot, over shot card. Would substituting a ball for the shot work?

That is how I shoot my tradegun. I have also had good luck with using the overpowder and/or cushion wad under a patched ball. That is probably the best combination I have used.

IronHand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Offline Axe

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 05:36:44 PM »
Thanks Ironhand....I'll give that a try. Might also try putting towe on top of the ball. I see a fun, challenging day at the range in my future.
Axe

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 07:41:30 PM »
Years ago, maybe 1990ish, I had a T/C New Englander with both a .50 cal and a 12 ga (cylinder bore) barrel.
I put a simple rear sight on the barrel and shot a .715 ball with a .010 patch and maybe 90 grains of Ffg, IIRC.  Probably used spit for lube.
At 50 yards, 5 shots pretty much obliterated the 9 and 10 ring.  Them 12 bore balls make a pretty good size hole.
Of course, I sold the darn thing.  If I would have had the .54 cal barrel, I might have kept it.  Might, but probably not.  So many rifles have walked in and back out the doors.  Drat, wish I could learn to not sell the darn things.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline ross

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 786
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 10:54:59 PM »
I have a 12 ga double and shoot .690rb and blue jean patches. it is by the way not choked.

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 11:19:19 AM »
I generally shoot a patched roundball out of my smoothie. The patch and ball can be thumb started down the bore but it is relatively snug and not at all loose. I can get a satisfactory group that way out to 50-75 yards. As stated above, each gun is different and so stating exact patch and ball combo is not all that helpful I don't think. Experiment and have fun.

K

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 11:28:26 AM »
My huntin buddy; tater, shoots a cva, 12ga sxs, with a 690rb, and a .015 patch, over 90grs. 2fg!!! deer, elk, dead meat!!!
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 04:11:01 PM »
Drat, wish I could learn to not sell the darn things.

My problem also!  I had a beautiful T-C New Englander 12 ga, it had been professionally built, nicely checkered.  Then one day I decided I had never shot it, I'm not a shotgunner anyway, and I sold it...  :Doh! :Doh! :Doh!

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Paulk

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 04:53:21 PM »
Drat, wish I could learn to not sell the darn things.

My problem also!  I had a beautiful T-C New Englander 12 ga, it had been professionally built, nicely checkered.  Then one day I decided I had never shot it, I'm not a shotgunner anyway, and I sold it...  :Doh! :Doh! :Doh!

~WH~

My TC New Englander with a .54 cal and 12 ga choked barrel was my first muzzleloader and one that I'll never part with.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 04:55:43 PM »
My smoothbore is a .62.  With a lubed patch it gives consistent 3 shot groups of 3" or a little less at 50 yards.  With a .606" WW ball loaded without a patch, the groups are larger but still pie plate size with 5 shots.  The patched load has killed deer previously so is a proven load - 70 grains of 3F.

Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 05:32:50 PM »
Hanshi,  That .62 with that load using WW ball should be a "Drop Dead Right There" load for just about anything it is aimed at.

I have never gotten the accuracy I wanted from own .62 when shooting rb patch, so I have leaned heavily, for years, on my .56 smoothie which I know and trust to be deadly accurate at 50 plus yds.

Someday, when I get myself a really nice roundtoit, I fully intend to do more work on that .62...like starting from scratch and working through the whole process again. However, that takes time, and I have weigh that "time' very carefully, that is if I truly want to re-invent the wheel all over, or be perfectly content with what I have. I suspect we'll just have to wait and see.......

Nice post, thanks for sharing.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4