Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: English vs French Flints  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
English vs French Flints
« on: April 25, 2019, 10:15:02 PM »
I've been a flintlock shooter for a day or two now.  I've tried different brands and granulations of powder.  Just about every kind of lube, patch, and everything else I could think of.  The one thing I haven't tried are the French amber flints.  I've stuck with the black English flints from Tom Fuller although I can't really tell you why.  So I'm asking those of you who have used the French flints your opinion.  What do you find to be the pros and cons of each?  I appreciate your experiences and thoughts.
John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Lonewolfe20

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member # 757 Expires 7/25/2020, Member & State Representative.
Re: English vs French Flints
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 10:41:53 PM »
What a good question
My father in law really liked the ambers
But there was some that he absolutely hated I wished I could remember which ones they were
Maybe one of these older fellers remember him com-Lanning about them
I’ll be curious on everyone’s opinion
NRA Member
State Representative for South Dakota, contact me for more SD info
TMA #757

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 11:52:52 PM »
Well, I am not really much of a flint aficionado, but I have a fondness for the English flints.  I have tried the French ambers and could see no difference.  I'd stick with the black ones.'
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 12:20:57 AM »
I've never used the French Amber Flints, but I did read one time where several folks said they sparked very well - but they didn't last very long... Only repeating what I've read in the past, and I have no experience with them. I do like the Black English Flints so I see no reason to switch or even test the French.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 02:41:29 AM »
I mainly use black English but have tried the amber a while back. I dont know where I got it but remember it was as good as any. I' ve also used quite a few white flints from St Louis that a guy on ALR was selling a few yrs ago. That was early on in my flint journey. They spark great usually, meaning either really good or just so so. I still have a few dozen of those as backups I guess. I shoot 99% flint, the only capper I shoot is my Uberti Hawken. I'd like to try some Kansas flint but havent found a good place to get any yet.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 07:02:24 AM »
i prefer quality knapped flints over cut flints.

if a flint sparks well, it's a well flint.

a well flint is a good flint, no matter where it came from or what is its color.

i think entirely too much is spent on flint debates. 

all that matters are the sparks - and if a flint isn't sparking well, it might need knapping, or it's improperly positioned and angled, or it's striking the hammer steel incorrectly, or it could be a hammer steel hardness issue.

however, i prefer "fine" flints - that is, a thin flint with one cutting edge, not a "common" flint with a high middle peak and dual cutting edges.  i could care less if it's black or amber.  fine flints sit better in the cock jaws, for me, and only one edge is needed, which will get knapped to be kept sharp.

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 08:39:47 AM »
Well, I am not really much of a flint aficionado, but I have a fondness for the English flints.  I have tried the French ambers and could see no difference.  I'd stick with the black ones.'
John
That would be a plus one for me.  Both are good but I am stuck on the English too.   :hairy

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 08:40:46 AM »
besides, "black is beautiful".  :wave

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 08:46:51 AM »
I have used both, but find the Frenchies are harder to find as opposed to the Black English.  I'm not sure if it is true of all the flint sizes, but the french ones I use in my Hatfield (7/8") have only one striking edge.  the english flits I have used all have two striking edges, which could be good if you don't have time to knapp during a shoot.  You just turn the flint around to the other edge.  As for longevity, I have not noticed a difference.  Both seem to produce a good shower of sparks in a good lock with a good frizzen.  Some people just don't like the amber color of the french flints.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 08:56:09 AM »
during a shoot or woods walk, or worse yet a seneca run, the last thing i wanna do is flip or change a flint.  i can knap a flint edge Sharp whilst in the jaws far faster than swapping it out.  flipping the flint around also means making sure it's gonna strike the hammer steel in the sweet spot, like it did (or shudda done) with its now bad edge.  i also find that fine flints knap easier and faster, prolly due to their flatter cross section shape, whereas a 2 edge domed common flint will have a steeper angle and be a bit more of a hassle to knap.  if ordering from TOTW, you can specify single edged fine flints in yer order, black or amber.

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 09:47:15 AM »
X2 on avoiding cut flints. Not worth the cost.

I have tried both French and English flints. I prefer the blonde flints. Better spark and equal durability. IMHO

IronHand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 06:52:27 PM »
I have no complaints on the Tom Fuller flints from TOW. Only had one break and that could have been my fault. They spark great and go forever before they need knapped. Still shooting the same two dozen I bought when I got my smoothbore five years ago. They all been knapped once. Bought two dozen for my Lancaster and haven’t used but six of them yet.
I’m of the school of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.
Steve Sells

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 07:45:12 PM »
I've also used quite a few white flints from St Louis that a guy on ALR was selling a few yrs ago.

ridjrunr,,, I've got some of those flints from that guy (not sure if he still does them) but I have no complaints about them either.

Didn't he call them "chert" and got it out'a the Missouri River? Anyway, like you I keep them for a back up - though I wonder if I should use those - and keep my Black English Flints for the backups (or) when your in an event or out hunting where need to be absolutely positively confident you're going to get good spark. Not saying his didn't/don't spark well 'cause they do. Is his name, Rich Price?

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 07:58:03 PM »
Rich Pierce, I believe.  Never got my hands on any of his flints but they had a good rep.  I don't think he is still in business though.
John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 08:18:18 PM »
Yes, that's his name John...  :bl th up

You're right John about Rich not doing flints anymore, however I do recall some years back, I was over on ALR and had mentioned TOW was out'a the English Flints I use, and he sent me a PM saying he'd send me some if I was in real need. Well I thanked him, but I wasn't out of flints, I was just padding the nest so to speak. I thought that was really good of him to make that offer.  :hairy