Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Roughly, What Date Did They Stop Making Paper Cartridges For Revolvers?  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Roughly, What Date Did They Stop Making Paper Cartridges For Percussion Revolvers?

I know many of us make our own, but what I'm looking for is a rough date in history when Companies stopped manufacturing the Percussion Revolver Paper Cartridge's?

We do know that revolvers after the Civil War (and some during) were being converted to brass cartridges, and many a plainsmen, lawmen & cowboys, and the common person, still carried cap-n-ball revolvers well after the Civil War had ended.

My guess with so many Cap & ball Revolvers being available after the Civil War, it would be uncommon not to continue the manufacturing of them even well after the 1873 Colt Peace Maker was introduced...

So, when did Colt & Remington (and whoever else may have been producing Revolver Paper Cartridges) stop the manufacturing of them?

Appreciate any info or thoughts you might have on this.  :shake

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline doggoner

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
Re: Roughly, What Date Did They Stop Making Paper Cartridges For Revolvers?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 05:35:50 PM »
Ohio Joe   try this https://www.colt.com/page/archive-services. They will send you an answer to your letter of inquiry.  I didn't try Remington's site.

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 06:26:58 PM »
From looking at that site, it appears there truly is no free lunch, at least for firearm authentication.
Now for something like when did they quit making paper cartridges, that might just be a $25.00 question.  Or more.  Or less.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 06:38:19 PM »
Thanks doggoner, I didn't see anything on there that answered my question, and I wouldn't pay a fee to find out anyway as I was just curious... I'll keep searching. Thanks  :shake

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 07:13:54 PM »
 :P :P :P I cannot believe that Colt would charge the public for historical information. That imo is really bad public relations.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 07:55:02 PM »
:P :P :P I cannot believe that Colt would charge the public for historical information. That imo is really bad public relations.

I have to agree, Oldetexian...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 08:33:32 PM »
Here is some information.

http://americancivilwarrelics.com/Civil%20War%20Cartridge%20Civil%20War%20Cartridge.htm

Reasonable thinking would tell me that some companies stayed in business making paper cartridges well after our Civil War ended. 

Also, it's claimed (not at this site above) that Hickok in Deadwood, 1876 - would freshen his loads every morning in his .36 Colt Navy's (not only to freshen them by firing them off to put on a shooting display that sent a message to leave me the hell alone).  I can't imagine him shooting both revolvers empty before reloading them - but rather empty one (then reload it) and then empty the second (then reloading it) always assuring himself that he had one loaded revolver on him, if needed... That's just common sense I would think. Now whether he used paper cartridges or flask and ball, my guess would be paper cartridges for less "down" time with that first empty revolver. (I wouldn't rule out spare cylinders either).

Now I can't imagine Hickok making his own paper cartridges (though he may have in his early years) but with his failing eyesight, I just kind'a think he bought them at the local "General Store / Trading Post" or perhaps he may have "rolled his own" or had a gunsmith in deadwood make them up for him?   

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 09:31:27 PM »
I read, many years ago, that Hickok would shoot one of his Navy Colts empty in the evening, then clean & oil it before reloading.  Once the first one was ready for action he did the same for the other.  Unfortunately, I don't think the article said anything about using cartridges, if he did.  He could just as well have loaded from a flask, methinks.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 10:20:21 PM »
I read, many years ago, that Hickok would shoot one of his Navy Colts empty in the evening, then clean & oil it before reloading.  Once the first one was ready for action he did the same for the other.  Unfortunately, I don't think the article said anything about using cartridges, if he did.  He could just as well have loaded from a flask, methinks.

~Kees~

Agreed  :bl th up This we'll never know unfortunately.

What got me to thinking about all this is the cap-n-ball Revolvers I've had for over 40+ years with many a rounds sent through them (probably more then many shot theirs back in the C&B Revolver days)... They still work and hold up, so why wouldn't people of the C&B Revolver era - stick with what they had & knew? Money sure wasn't easy to come by back in the old west days. Card playing, drinking, and,,, well companionship,,, didn't come cheap on a Saturday night when the boys rode to town once a month...  :Doh! Oh brother, this topic just must of hit rock bottom...  :laffing

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 06:42:48 AM »
What got me to thinking about all this is the cap-n-ball Revolvers I've had for over 40+ years with many a rounds sent through them (probably more then many shot theirs back in the C&B Revolver days)... They still work and hold up, so why wouldn't people of the C&B Revolver era - stick with what they had & knew? Money sure wasn't easy to come by back in the old west days. Card playing, drinking, and,,, well companionship,,, didn't come cheap on a Saturday night when the boys rode to town once a month...  :Doh! Oh brother, this topic just must of hit rock bottom...  :laffing

The topic is definitely "trending south," but I think we owe it to our great love of history to follow the trail where it leads... :lol sign :lol sign :lol sign
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 08:31:32 PM »
I guess we'll never know the date on this question, but I'm willing to take a SWAG and say it was very close to Colt producing the 1873 Peacemaker.
Colt was a major "producer" of paper cartridges.
And since they now had a pistol that used metallic cartridges, there was no longer a need for the paper cartridge.

Years ago, Dixie Gun Works had some very interesting reading in the back of their Catalogs.
One such subject was an original copy of loading procedures for the then new 1860 Colt with both powder and ball, and cartridge paper and ball...emphasis was heavy on "cutting a ring" from the ball, and there was no mention anywhere about any kind of  lube. I personally think the Armies Armory of the day may well have been the 1st to use any kind of lube following the introduction of the Colt 1851 which was issued to hundreds if not thousands of troops.
Then the 1858 Remington was introduced in .44 caliber with its quick change cylinders, lube became a must for sustainable firing, and Colt responded in 1860 with their own .44....There were many variances of these pistols in the in-between years but the 58 and the 60 was the standard issue.
The above statement is my own thoughts, and nothing I have read.
Although I've been a student of C&B Revolvers for many years the question by Joe has bugged me and prompted more reading, unfortunately I can't find a date.0
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online LongWalker

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2023, 07:24:37 PM »
I'm not sure when they went out of production, but combustible cartridges for Army and Navy revolvers were still available through commercial channels in 1892.  In that year, one of my great-greats purchased several hundred in Navy size, and a couple hundred for the Army revolver (he was also able to obtain flints for his Leman that year).   

Surplus cartridges appear to also have been available (from Bannerman's?) at least up til WWI. 

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 09:19:09 PM »
When one thinks about it, it would have taken some time for the US Military to have completely converted to the metallic cartridge, and the civilians most likely used their cap and ball revolvers until they either wanted a new firearm that took the metal cartridges or they just plain wore out the ol' cap-n-ball revolver... So there was a market for them if some manufacturer kept making them.

Of course, it's way different today, naturally...  :shake 

Online LongWalker

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 12:16:46 PM »
Some folks never did switch over.  I'm told the cousin who now has the Navy still shoots it.  I found out a few years ago that in the early '70s--1970s--Grandpa Anderson shot a housebreaker with his 1860. . . which he was still loading with paper cartridges his grandfather purchased.

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2023, 08:56:00 AM »

I guess we'll never know the date on this question, but I'm willing to take a SWAG and say it was very close to Colt producing the 1873 Peacemaker.

Colt was a major "producer" of paper cartridges.

And since they now had a pistol that used metallic cartridges, there was no longer a need for the paper cartridge.

Since Sam Colt was sales-oriented, I'm pretty sure he thought that if he didn't make paper cartridges, folks would be motivated to buy an SAA from him.

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...