Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: THE NEW LYMAN SIGNATURE GREAT PLAINS RIFLE  (Read 3049 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: THE NEW LYMAN SIGNATURE GREAT PLAINS RIFLE
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 11:49:51 PM »
Best I can tell, they also got rid of the perch belly.

....., and (from what I can tell) that ugly Lyman "snail".  :hairy :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2020, 06:30:28 PM »

(choke)  :Doh!

At least they're already out of stock...……..  :bigsmile:
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2020, 06:37:49 PM »
I don't see any guarantee that they were already in stock.  Personally, I kinda doubt it.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Spotted Bull

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2020, 08:29:06 PM »
I looked on the Lyman website and they still offer the "regular" GPR in a 1:66 twist.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2020, 09:41:58 PM »
Midsouth Shooters Supply has lower GPR prices (than MUZZLE-LOADERS.com) for anyone wanting to purchase a new GPR,.... but I don't see the Pedersoli version listed.  :bl th up

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/search?SearchTerm=Pedersoli+signature+Great+Plains+Rifle
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 07:44:01 AM »
Lyman's trad MLs had been built by Investarms and were Very good machines indeed.  You could actually work on them, take them totally apart - their breech plug IS removable! - and are good workhorse rifles at their basic introductory price tags.  I've had a gaggle of them and all were very good rifles.  Some would opt for a better lock, and I did with an L&R more than a few times, but even that was not at all mandatory.  The fact that the Investarms lock could be fully disassembled and "tuned" was another solid reason to buy a Lyman trad ML ... or an Investarms trad ML from DGW - they are/were one in the same, with typically a lower price tag for the DGW offering.

I've also had more than a few of the older (perhaps by 10 years) Pedersoli trad MLs and (unlike their Pedersoli BPCR guns), I wasn't impressed with them.  The bigger issue was the near welded breech plugs.  For all intents and purposes, they were welded because I could never get the buggers off, and I have proper gunsmith breech removal tools.  I never found their locks any better than the Investarms locks, either.

It will be interesting to see just what a doubled or so Lyman price tag will get you with these Pedersoli guns.

A DGW flint .50 Investarms kit ("kit" is almost a joke - these are all easy "screwdriver build" guns) with double set triggers is now $525 when it used to be $425.  The same rifle completed is now $595.  Times have changed, er, inflated.  Grrr.

Offline DeadeyeChrista'sdad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2020, 11:18:09 AM »
Wow!   That's a little salty for a hunter version of the GPR with holes predrilled n tapped for sights being the only big mod.

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2020, 12:30:08 PM »
Wow!   That's a little salty for a hunter version of the GPR with holes predrilled n tapped for sights being the only big mod.

you checked out custom gun costs of late?  I don't have the funds nor the inclination but given the time invested by builders of just kits it's rather amazing to me that a custom gun is  even under $2K!