Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Fowler  (Read 3971 times)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Fowler
« on: November 14, 2020, 09:00:13 PM »
I think I finally found a smoothbore that might work out well ... or not.  Won't know until late next week when the popper arrives. 

42" Rice .62 bbl, L&R Trade lock, maple stock w/aqua fortis stain, some wood carvings, and mostly iron furniture.  It's been fired a few dozen times, so I'll need to take it all apart, pull the breech plug and see what's inside.  The seller is the builder and he used a slotted touch hole liner, so that's gotta get pulled and drilled and tapped for a Chambers White Lightning.  There are some other things that I can see need fixin', but this might be a keeper ... or not.  ;)

[ Invalid Attachment ]  

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Fowler
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 11:02:48 PM »
Good looking smoke pole! Look forward to your report on this, Rob!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 11:09:52 PM »
Was that the one on the ALR forum?
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 11:19:12 PM »
Was that the one on the ALR forum?

It might be judging from the brass screws in the triggerguard.  :hairy
It might quite possibly turn out to be a great shooter.  :applaud  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 05:56:18 AM »
Yes, that very one off the ALR classifieds.

I've still got some doubts about it, but it comes with a few days approval and sent back on my dime, as usual.

And yes - those brass trigger guard screws are on my "got to go!" list.  8)

r.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 07:47:19 AM »

I've still got some doubts about it, but it comes with a few days approval and sent back on my dime, as usual.

r.

Rob, having not read the building specs on this new long gun coming your way,,, are those actually soft "brass" screws  on the trigger guard -or- brass plated screws? Just wondering? I've used "brass plated" screws on some of my builds after pinning the trigger guard to the stock (probably over-kill) - and it looks like that trigger guard on that new smoothy coming your way has at least 4 screws in that trigger guard, and the heads must be protruding out on the guard (it looks like)?

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 08:12:36 AM »

r.

Rob, having not read the building specs on this new long gun coming your way,,, are those actually soft "brass" screws  on the trigger guard -or- brass plated screws? Just wondering? I've used "brass plated" screws on some of my builds after pinning the trigger guard to the stock (probably over-kill) - and it looks like that trigger guard on that new smoothy coming your way has at least 4 screws in that trigger guard, and the heads must be protruding out on the guard (it looks like)?

I don't know of what metal those brass colored screws are, but they've got to go because they're Phillips heads instead of slotted.  I have a good assortment of round head slotted iron wood screws that I can torch-blue the heads for a better look and fit for the period of this fowler.  That just leaves the pipes, which appear to be rolled sheet brass, and if so I'll leave them as is because many a gun of the 18th and 18th centuries were repaired, and even built, with whatever was on hand.  The architecture of the stock, furniture and lock could easily allow this fowler to have been birthed anywhere from the early 1700's all the way to the early 1800's.   

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 08:59:09 AM »
Okay,,, I did not know they were Phillips head screws...

After seeing a bigger picture of them - the brass screws look a bit out of place on an iron trigger-guard. The butt-plate screws appear to be slotted.

Wonder why the builder went to all the trouble of keeping things within a "period correct" build and finishing - then skimped on the screws?

I bet you're going to have some good fun with this smoke pole once you get it to the Range.  :hairy 

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 09:30:12 AM »
There are a number things that had my head scratching about both the fowler and the builder, which is why I paid via PayPal and included the PayPal fee.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 05:39:26 PM »
The fowler arrived on Thursday and had only time to look it over.  The carvings are really excellent ... I mean professional artist quality Excellent.  As to the overall build, it's at least somewhat lacking judging by the exterior.  No time to begin the disassembly, so I let it go until this past Sunday.  In the meanwhile, I built a pair of proper length tapered ramrods, with brass ferrules on both ends.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

There's one bolt holding on the lock and it was tight but no big deal using a gunsmith screwdriver.  About 1/3rd of the lock internals were rusted, meaning it was never removed and cleaned after shooting.  There were 2 through-bolt holes, meaning he missed on the first attempt.  I spritzed the entire lock with pb-blaster to loosen the rust and left it soaking for a day and it looks near new now.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I went to tap out barrel lug pin and for some reason it hung up internally on the lug.  Tapped it out the other way and found that a brad was used and it's head was never clipped off.  The tang bolt came out easily and the barrel released.  Now here's were it gets a little interesting.  A few days ago i asked why there was no front sight on the bbl and was told there no the means to solder on a front sight.  I countered with, how then were the lugs attached to the forward round of the OTR bbl?  However, the lugs on the bbl appear to be all be soldered, even the one on the octagon part (rather than dovetail it in!). 

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I pulled the breech plug and it was in there Tight, but no match for the Rice wrench and a 3ft black pipe for leverage.  It's a standard classic flat faced plug and it was Corroded, never cleaned.  Dittos for the chamber.  I spritzed the bbl innards with pb-blaster and let it soak, then went to push a wd-40 soaked patch in from the breech end and it wouldn't go through - the touch hole liner is sticking 1/16" into the chamber.  geez.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I couldn't unscrew the touch hole liner because it was never fully homed, just filed it flush to the barrel which lowered the liner's screwdriver slot and it had no purchase.  I had to grind a carbide wheel down to 3/8" in order to deepen the slot for a proper screwdriver removal.  The bbl got tiny dings at the slot ends but no big deal as it's a 1/4x28 liner and I'll drill it out for a 5/16x32 Chambers White Lightning (the Best touch hole liner, IMHO).

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I pulled off the trigger guard and the iron screws used were a good 2" long!  ACK!  So wrong in every way imaginable.  They'll all get replaced.  There is no side plate, which is actually a good thing, i'll order out a side plate along with a nickel front sight.

The builder a master carver, no question, but lacks in traditional muzzleloader construction.  On the other hand, I could care less about wood carvings and I'm far more into gun function, not art adornments - the gun itself is the art for me.  I knew there was gonna be work to do, and glad it's not all that bad and relatively easy for me to accomplish.  If it wasn't, i'd return it.  But as is, it will be worth more than the $1k i paid when i'm finished with it.  Life is still good.  :*:

Offline Bearhntr

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 06:12:21 PM »
Rob,
Keep us posted on your repairs!  Are you leaving the lugs soldered or are you going to dovetail them in?  Also, from the picture of the lug, it doesn't appear  to have the hole elongated to permit swelling of the stock???

Thanks for bringing us along!
Rodd

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 06:45:10 PM »
Soldered lugs are fine, and they can only be soldered on the barrel round.

Yes, the lug pin holes need to be slotted and not just holes.

Offline KDubs

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 09:08:03 PM »
Enjoying this a lot.
 Sounds like you've rebuilt a gun or two.
 Kevin.
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 10:01:22 PM »
Those long trigger guard screws might be the reason your ramrod was too short. ::)
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2024
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 07:07:40 AM »
Good thing you rescued this smoothy when you did, Rob.  :hairy