Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: how to measure extremely small amounts of powder  (Read 2393 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: how to measure extremely small amounts of powder
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 06:32:01 PM »
I seen that John,.... either one would work, and/or likely be easily modified to throw a bit larger charge.  :bl th up

I guess my main point was,.... I think Pyrodex (rifle or pistol) powder has too large of granulation, and too high of an ignition point, to fire effectively in minute amounts (like 3-5 grs.).

One could do an experiment by putting 5 grs. of Pyrodex on a flat surface and touch the glowing end of a heated wire to it,.... and then try the same thing with 3-5 grs. of 4FG black powder, and compare the results (or "LACK OF"):bl th up  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Deimmortales

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2021, 04:36:59 PM »
Thankyou for the actual black powder tip. I can't get any blackpowder locally so I decided to make a small batch.

I made 100grains worth. It's a little finer then ffffg. It came out closer to powdered sugar in consistency. Burns clean and quick. And alot more powerful.

It took 15 grains of pyrodex (fffg: edit) to match the penetration of the 5grains homebrew in the same block of mohagany.

Thanks for all the advice

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2021, 05:03:38 PM »
That's great,.... I'm glad it worked for you!  :hairy

One more bit of advice,.... although black powder might not be available near you/locally, buying it online should not be a problem and you can get it delivered right to your door.  :bl th up  :applaud

I buy from,........  https://powderinc.com/
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2021, 05:26:33 PM »
Ian,.... I just checked and the only grades of Pyrodex I can find are,... R/S (rifle/shotgun),... P,... (pistol),.... and "Select".

Pyrodex doesn't offer any of their powder in 4FG,.... but you can get Goex 4FG from Powder Inc,.... and yes, it is similar in granulation to sugar.  :bl th up
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Deimmortales

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2021, 07:29:27 PM »
The gun came out okay for a from scratch build, but I'm happy with it. The homebrew black powder works very well, but i do think i have some other chemical in the mix.  I think its calcium carbonate. I set some alight on my anvil and it left behind a metallic ball that when i burn with a torch it throws an orange flame and white scorch mark/ white powdery residue on the anvil...

swaged some lead balls to leave a perfect ring like with a revolver.

Will definitely be ordering some factory made black powder soon!   :)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2021, 09:16:45 PM »
Interesting rifle.  :hairy

What is the barrel off of?
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Deimmortales

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2021, 10:06:26 PM »
I own an FX impact, and ordered a heavy slug liner (an airgun slug is basicly a lead bullet without a gascheck) and the first one they sent me must not have gotten oiled before delivery and rusted a bit in storage/transit. So i sent them a photo of the barrel liner and they sent me a replacement for free. the construction of the barrel to convert into a firearm barrel is simple, install a nipple at the end and reinforce the liner by covering it with a high pressure rated pipe with 5/16 ID, use an adjustable reamer to size, heat the pipe up to cherry hot and install the liner. the heat expands the pipe and as it cools it siezes onto the barrel liner. select the nipple you want to use and partially tap the breech. heat the nipple and breech end till cherry hot and slowly turn the nipple into it. the two will fuse very tightly.

as with all homemade barrels do some proof-testing before use inhand or near your face. I over charged the barrel by 50 grains and blasted from a safe distance away, multiple times. and measured if the nipple-breech-plug backed out at all. after testing you can also weld the nipple inplace for extra insurance. drill and tap the sleeve/highpressure pipe without entering the liner and make a screw to anchor it into the stock, normal glassing process.

FX barrels are actually top notch. the rifling is pressed into a polished barrel from the outside in an extruder-like die and are perfectly smooth inside.

all the other parts were made with a ginding wheel and angle grinder/ sandpaper. i made the stock from what i believe is cherry.

I may do some brass furniture for it as i have scrap brass stock but im not sure how much more time i want to put into this. it has been fun tho

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2021, 10:57:37 PM »
That's interesting, even though I'll probably never make one,.... thanks for the info and the reply.  :)  :shake  :toast
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6