Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Rebuilding a fowler  (Read 3287 times)

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
Rebuilding a fowler
« on: February 25, 2021, 11:19:35 AM »
I came into possession of a Fowler,/trade gun after my wife’s friend an antiques dealer got it at an auction,I researched the markings and proofs and it was a Birmingham mfg.1830 proofs ,originally a flintlock ,converted to perc.the metal parts are all salvageable ,in fair condition bore and barrel exterior good condition no pitting some rust.half octagon half round half stock .I have all the parts the screw slots are beat,the nipple and nipple barrel might need replacing unless I can separate them,the nipple itself is beat up,the lock is really good shape and everything in the lock works the ram rod pipe is brass but is also beat up at the entrance ,I will try to fix it ,the trigger and guard are good just rusty ,as is the  buttplate,this is steel,the stock is pretty beat and dry rotted ,but good for a model and template there is no serpent ,just two inset grommets to receive the lock screws,I think it can returned to safe shootable condition the barrels not Damascus and has no pitts or bad spots,the breech plug is loose and out but will lock up good and tight ,with good healthy threads ,nipple barrel threads are not stripped  but might be sloppy so a new one might need to be made with fresh threads,I doubt it was an Indian gun,probably a farm or settlers meat gun looks to be about 12 ga.cost me $50 several years ago,I started on a cherry stock a few years ago so it is a work in progress,slow progress,! I’ll get some pics of the parts up next post
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Rebuilding a fowler
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 01:58:46 PM »

Kudos, on setting yourself quite a challenge -  I can hardly wait to see your progress.  :bow
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online KDubs

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 02:44:49 PM »
I'm turned on!.
 Keep us posted
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 03:49:16 PM »
That sounds like a neat project!  Photos will be appreciated.  The half stock with octagonal to round barrel sounds intriguing; wondering how it compares to the modern T-C PA Hunter, which is probably my favorite production rifle.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Butler Ford 40

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 05:30:03 PM »
Looking forward to watching the progress!   :bl th up
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 06:27:38 AM »
VERY cool!  Looking forward to some pics!  :bl th up

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 11:38:07 AM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  here’s as many pics as I was allowed I’ll make more on the next post enjoy

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 12:09:14 PM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ] I had 3 more pics and four pics of a set of brass barreled  Naval/ Ships officers made by the same “ Phillips” with similar parts and markings but I guess I’m not allowed that many pics,I guess a second post on that set might work.Sorry guys but enjoy this is pic of the marque on the pistols

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 01:16:10 PM »
I'll  bet that it started life as a full stock and the fore stock got broken or cracked many years ago, that barrel length is way too long for a half stock, will be interesting resurection to see if it can get back to a shooter!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 02:24:34 PM »
That is a possibility ,but,it has a ring under the barrel for a carrying strap and only the one wedge hole.If our guns could talk!it could be a half stock but a slightly longer one too

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 07:00:34 PM »
Do I see an under rib?  If my eyes don't deceive me, that would be strong evidence of it having been a half stock.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 07:22:26 PM »
Taken a closer look at under the barrel ,there were two rod pipes silver soldered on the underrib at one time .Someone drilled a hole perpendicular through the underrib and installed e small ring ,wether for a carry strap or to serve as a ramrod pipe or both ,I don’t know.I just looked at again,the ring is brass so I don’t know if it would serve as a very strong carry strap but would as a ramrod pipe,but who knows ,amazing what I missed on this critter,they do tell a story if you listen.I still have only I wedge mount and unless that hole with the ring was a pin mount that would leave a lot of unsecured stock on a full stock.but has any gunsmith used a pin  and a wedge on the same gun? That is a question because I don’t know,I never saw that . I keep seeing more but now I have more questions!I hope more experts chime in.The underrib stops at 23 3/4”,the octagon starts at 27”and the wedge mount is at30” the ramrod pipes were at 5” and 16”the ring and hole at 8 1/4” measured from the muzzle ,the barrel is 38” long.there are no dovetails everything’s secured with silver solder.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 07:23:50 PM »
Yes,read my last post never considered that thankswinter Hawk

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 07:33:59 PM »
The hard parts done,I just have learn how to make the stock :lol sign
 It is not 12 ga. It is .580 at the muzzle 58 cal. Would be more like 20 ga. ,I think.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 02:13:48 PM »
Beaverman,Winterhawk,read both your reply and researched more pics Beaveran,with all due respect to you and after much deliberation and pics it is a half stock and as long as it ever was except a possible maybe 1/16”-1/8” for perhaps a cap ,even that is doubtful.as you’ll see in new pics,the stock ends butted up to the underrib ,however I believe the stock did have higher sides so the barrel was deeper inletted ,the sides of the inlet have been worn down and possibly broken or splintered and smoothed off,it seen rough use. [ Invalid Attachment ]

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609