Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Inlet tool  (Read 1460 times)

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
Inlet tool
« on: March 11, 2021, 05:33:58 AM »
 It seems that it may take a week or so to get a nice 15/16” barrel inlet tool from gun line ,if they answer my email.it seems to me I could forge an old file and grind and file a 15/16” octagon profile on it  for a scraper in a few minutes  instead of waiting ,I’m not impatient just not interested in wasting time ( that’s not the same thing to me)is the difference worth waiting for and should it be the exact size of the channel or a size smaller?I am an accomplished blacksmith/ farrier .The gunline tool looks like a nice tool too though.
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Inlet tool
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 08:57:27 AM »

A barrel inletting  scraper can also be made from a cut off chunk of an old/rusty 15/16" octagon barrel (jes' sayin')

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 01:07:57 PM »
Can also be made from a 15/16" paddle bit ground off
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 02:34:29 PM »
It seems that it may take a week or so to get a nice 15/16” barrel inlet tool from gun line ,if they answer my email.it seems to me I could forge an old file and grind and file a 15/16” octagon profile on it  for a scraper in a few minutes  instead of waiting ,I’m not impatient just not interested in wasting time ( that’s not the same thing to me)is the difference worth waiting for and should it be the exact size of the channel or a size smaller?I am an accomplished blacksmith/ farrier .The gunline tool looks like a nice tool too though.

If you have experience making tools, go for it. However, I would mic the barrel just in case it is over or undersize and then make the cutter a smidge(.010-.015) smaller than the barrel. That way you can little by little open up the channel to get a perfect fit for the barrel.
I did something similar and finished sizing the channel with an undersize wood half octagon stick,wrapped with 220 grit sandpaper.
This is just what I came up with and I’m sure there are other ways, but it did a nice job.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 03:37:03 PM »
I need the old rusty barrel for the inlet that I’m making!( I did think about hacking just a little off the muzzle but thought better of it) ( lol!) Seriously,I bought a cheap Chinese file at ace hardware to make a barrel inlet scraper from then stopped at a friends junk store and he gave me a piece of steel for free  and I can figure if I want to make a really good one or what ,10-4 on keep it slightly undersize that’s why I asked ,I read somewhere a guy suggested if you want a certain size to buy the next size smaller,thought  I would ask. The paddle bit was the first thing I grabbed however, the file however is long enough to bend the tang up for a handle and when you anneal the file also drill another hole for a smaller ball handle like a plane and use both hands for control .

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 04:50:58 AM »
These are what I tried to explain in above post.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 11:22:47 PM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ] Nicely made sanding blocks made one from a file that scrapes,after I figure the sharpengangle,I thought of you’s a then you could glue stops of sandpaper on just one flat if there was a flat with a problem thanks.I gave up on mine first then a few days later ground the edge a different angl and wallah! Mine is more expensive no doubt.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 03:33:29 PM »
Good tool to have!

I have some "channel scrapers" that I made many years ago that our very similar to yours. I use them when (and after) chiseling out a barrel channel. They work pretty darn good.

It would appear our scraping edge (as you draw your tool towards you) is the same as mine. I've found that a good straight edge is also a very useful tool to check the channel when scraping. :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 10:36:00 PM »
That something I did not think about,the straight edge.thanks

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609