Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Please recommend a punch for making patches  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Please recommend a punch for making patches
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2021, 10:34:41 AM »

. .  cutting patch strips . . . insures that ALL patches cut at the muzzle or ball board are . . . proper diameter. 

RobD. Understood. That's why I want to experiment with both methods. I plan to buy some ticking soon enough and I am not ruling out any particular method. I like the idea of cutting at the muzzle. For now, the question is still about finding a punch to make round patches. I want to try that method for now.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2021, 10:50:53 AM »

. .  cutting patch strips . . . insures that ALL patches cut at the muzzle or ball board are . . . proper diameter. 

RobD. Understood. That's why I want to experiment with both methods. I plan to buy some ticking soon enough and I am not ruling out any particular method. I like the idea of cutting at the muzzle. For now, the question is still about finding a punch to make round patches. I want to try that method for now.

That's the way to go - test and see what fits your shooting agenda best.  A precut patch is clearly faster that cutting a patch at the muzzle, a ball board is clearly faster than a precut patch, a ball board with powder is faster yet, and the fastest of all is the way it was mostly done in the military of the 18th century - a paper "cartridge" for muskets.

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
An update
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2021, 03:59:11 PM »
I recently completed a woodswalk that was very educational. It revealed a lot about how my bag is set up, and the patches I was using.  I no longer see any real benefit in punching my own patches. When I use pre-cut, I'll just buy them. BUT, I stil want to try cutting at the muzzle. Tying some strips of ticking to my bag will reduce the amount of times I have to go reaching into the bag to fish out items.

Offline Eddie Southgate

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2022, 06:05:21 PM »

I use the same wad cutters that Dixie sells (or did) to cut my precut patches .

Offline Ohio Rusty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2022, 11:12:36 PM »
I have never found a large enough, or the right size punch for punching out the patches I need. Just this week I made several dozen round patches for my .48 caliber flintlock rifle. Once I figured out the right size I needed, I cut out a round cardboard pattern of that patch size. I used that card board pattern to draw circles on my pillow ticking patch material then cut the circles out with scissors. I find that relaxing making patches like that. They were then greased and put in the patch tin to be used.
Ohio Rusty ><>