Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Hi, my name is John and I'm a Tradeaholic...  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
Hi, my name is John and I'm a Tradeaholic...
« on: July 25, 2022, 07:53:38 PM »
It's true and all my father's fault.  Dad got hooked on building and shooting muzzleloaders in the late 1950's and promptly infected me with the fever.  I never found a cure or even wanted to.  In time, I became almost obsessed with accuracy.  Muzzleloading offers a huge range of variables to those of us who pursue the elusive one-hole-group. Powder brand, granulation, and amount.  Patch density, thickness, lube, and material.  Projectile type, weight, material.  The list goes on.  And we haven't even considered the shooter himself/herself.  How steady can you hold?  Can you ignore all that commotion going on a few inches in front of your eyes?  How gentle is your squeeze? 

Then the day comes when you realize that you have tried everything you can think of and those danged groups aren't getting smaller.  That's when the urge to trade begins.  I get out my fly-fishing gear and attempt to be a threat to the local fish population but eventually I can't ignore the call of the shooting range.  If I were a wealthy man I'd just buy something different but alas, I'm still working on my first million and it's just as well because I would have spent it all on old guns, old cars, old motorcycles, and old airplanes.  It's Tradin' Time!

For most of my life, rifles were it.  I never paid attention to smooth bores.  Why bother?  After all, there's a reason they call them "scatterguns".  Then I got old.  All those variables I talked about don't matter much if you can't see those darned sights clearly!  Then I read an article about black powder smooth bores.  Did you know those things can be loaded with darned near anything?  Including tree leaves and grass?  That's just the beginning.  Ball, buck, shot?  Bring it on.  And they usually don't have one of those pesky rear sights that I can't see anyway.  I needed to think "shotgun" instead of "rifle".  If I get a one-hole-group it was an accident that won't happen again anytime soon.  See, it's all a matter of expectations.  If I can put a .600" lead ball in the boiler room of a deer at 50 yds, well mister that's good enough.  And so what if the black rifle shooters think me a little odd when they see me stuffing a handfull of grass into my flintlock?  I'm having fun and that's what it's all about.

Now where I'm going with all this palaver is that I recently agreed to a trade.  My NorthStarWest Chief Grade 20g for a Fusil de Chasse also 20g.  After some cogitation, I believe this will be the 3rd time I've owned this particular gun.  Well, I don't remember what made up the loads it liked the best so let the adventure begin!  Again!  I love the FdC design.
John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Winter Hawk

Re: Hi, my name is John and I'm a Tradeaholic...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 08:40:04 PM »
Well by golly, that puppy has a REAR SIGHT on it!  From what I can see of it, that looks like a fine piece, even if the lock is on the wrong side.   ::)  If you're happy, and the other gent is also, everything is good.  Let the one-hole groups begin!   :lol sign

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 09:26:06 AM »
I know exactly where you're come'in from John.  :laffing  :bl th up
I've pretty much switched over to flint smoothbores myself, mainly to use as an excuse for missing the bullseye because of my failing eyesight.
However I really like their versatility and the fact that they WILL send most anything down range.
Also the history and use of trade guns during the North American Fur Trade has fascinated me for a great many years.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 11:19:55 AM »
Kees - The photo I attached to my original post is a longrifle made by a gent named J.M. Chandler in the 1960's-1970's.  It has a .45 cal G.R. Douglas barrel and a fairly rare left-handed flintlock made by Russ Hamm.  The sights are what was referred to as "fine" on old original rifles.  "Fine" means "tiny".  They were great back when my vision was 20/13 and this was one of the most accurate rifles I ever shot.  Now that fine front sight is almost invisible.  I'll attach a photo of the NSW Chiefs to this reply.

rollingb - I got good accuracy out of the Chief's.  It's long enough to take advantage of a powder charge and short enough to be handy.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 10:27:03 PM »
Good lookin' Northstar West Chiefs Grade Trade Gun.  :bl th up
I have three 20ga. NSW Northwest Trade guns (42", 36", and 30" barrels) , so I'm needing the Chief's Grade to keep them company.  :laffing

OHH!.... and I also have a NSW Trade Pistol that I really like.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 10:41:47 PM »
Good looking gun there!  I need to get another 20 gauge barrel for my T-C.  Bobby Hoyt said he would make me one if I get all the pieces, under rib, breechplug, thimbles, turtle front sight etc. needed.  So I have to get with Track of the Wolf or Suzi at the Gun Works and decide what all to order.  I can't justify buying a real trade gun although it would sure be nice to have!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025