Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Buyers BEWARE!!  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Buyers BEWARE!!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2023, 12:39:43 PM »
Rondo, I've purchased 1/2 x 5/16 x 24 "blank" drums from Track of the Wolf in the past... I expect they'd still carry them.  They do have them in stock for $4.69 / not sure what shipping would be? :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2023, 02:10:33 PM »
Joe, the old drum is 1/2 x 5/16 x 24 and the pilot hole for it was drilled and tapped at an angle, so I'm going 2 sizes bigger (1/2 x 7/16 x 20) with the new drum so I'll be sure to have full thread depth all around the new over-sized drum.  :bl th up  :)

Normally I use the 1/2 x 5/16 x 24 blank drums (from Track) on the percussions I build.  :bl th up

I started a 1 1/2" x 5/16 x 24 bolt in the existing hole and the bolt angles UP and FORWARD coming out of the drum hole (looks really weird :scared:), there's no way Jackie used a drill press to drill that hole. grrrrr  ;banghead;

I sent pictures and told mitch what's going on with his smoothie, and he said "SELL IT, if you can find someone who wants to buy it".

So,.... I might buy it in order for him to recoup his money.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline LongWalker

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2023, 03:01:43 PM »
Well if you BUY the dang thing, you can skip this whole percussion hoopla, plug the hole, drill it for a touchhole, and make it a flintlock like an honest person! :laffing

I've got a partial kit gun leaning in a corner at my old house--I've never done anything with it because the barrel is 13/16x.45, and I don't trust a drum in such a thin wall.  I may grab it Friday and contemplate building it as a flintlock.  A small Siler would be about right, if I can't find a good later-style lock the right size.  'Course then I'd have to figure out what to do with a .45.  Maybe I can move it to a corner _here_ and stare at it for 20 years. . . that might be easiest!   :Doh!

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2023, 04:12:39 PM »
Well if you BUY the dang thing, you can skip this whole percussion hoopla, plug the hole, drill it for a touchhole, and make it a flintlock like an honest person! :laffing

I can't say that I haven't entertained that exact same thought.  :bl th up :laffing

I do have a new Siler flint lock, in one of my parts boxes, and the percussion lock on the smoothie is a large Siler. :bl th up

As things currently stand, I've got four .62 cal. Northwest Trade Guns in the rack right now, PLUS one .62 cal. Chief's Grade Trade Gun, and a Jack Garner .62 flint smoothbore.

This eyesore Mitch sent me is a percussion .62 cal.Chief's Grade Trade Gun,..... so I'll likely buy it, and finish it, for my wife (she likes percussions), or, give it to one of my kids if Beth doesn't want it.
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline LongWalker

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2023, 12:46:02 AM »
Is this one of Curly's old kits, or NorthStar West, or something some else offered?

I'm not much of a shotgunner, most of my smoothbore use is with roundball.  I shot a 24 gauge NWG for a couple years, then got persuaded to go to a Bess for 20+ years.   Now I've got an old Belgian double that I seldom shoot, since going back to rifles. 

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2023, 08:09:03 AM »
This is one of Jackie Brown's creations.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Mule Brain

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2023, 08:31:36 PM »
I bought a rifle kit that came from Tip Curtis. Whoever I got it from messed up the threads just like yours. I re drilled it and installed the largest white lighting liner. It is now one of my best shooting flinters.     
Keep Your Powder Dry, And Your Back To The Wind!

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2023, 05:44:24 AM »
Boy, have I got some personal stories about ol' Jackie Brown and his infamous name renown.  What a mischievous character. 

!!!! BUYER BEWARE !!!!

Better yet, DO NOT buy from this scammer!

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2023, 08:46:49 AM »
Yikes
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821