Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Shotguns  (Read 1409 times)

Online LongWalker

• TMA Contributing Member
Shotguns
« on: February 02, 2023, 12:27:15 PM »
For the past 25+ years, I've mostly shot roundball in my double shotguns.  Having moved back to decent bird-hunting country, I'm thinking I might take up wingshooting again (not that I was ever any good at it).  Who makes a decent SxS shotgun these days?  My old Belgian double handles like a truck axle, and weighs too much for anything other than shooting roundball. 

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Shotguns
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 05:40:09 PM »
I haven't kept up with the latest regarding muzzleloader doubles and who is making them,.... but I'd love to find a nice double flinter in 20 ga. for sale.  :bl th up

I've done VERY little "shot shooting" with my trade guns since I started acquiring them.
I might have to do something about that this summer.  :)  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online LongWalker

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 10:52:32 PM »
I've shot some with a SxS double 20 flintlock.  I can miss with them too!  I did OK wingshooting with my first NWG, a very light 24 gauge.  It was a great little dove gun--I could usually get at least a few birds with it.  Before the ban on lead shot, I got to hunt ducks a couple times with an original 7' long Hudson Valley fowling piece (didn't say I hit anything).

My current double is a Belgian gun, about middle-of-the-road for quality, but it was definitely made for waterfowl shooting.  Once this thing gets moving, not even I could stop the swing.  It is nice for shooting ball (bored the same as a Brown Bess), and I've taken a number of deer and wild hogs with it, but it just isn't a gun I want to be hunting doves or quail or pheasants with. 

Offline Darren Haverstick

• TMA: Board of Directors, TMA Treasurer
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 07:56:59 AM »
Pedersoli makes a beautiful flinter SxS that I have heard nothing but good things about. I have conversed with a guy who uses his all the time to hunt upland birds. I keep putting money aside to buy one but then I see a pretty longbow and, well, I have to start saving all over again.

Darren

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 08:48:38 AM »
I keep putting money aside to buy one but then I see a pretty longbow and, well, I have to start saving all over again.

Darren

We all have multiple addictions (sigh)   :toast
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 09:49:24 AM »
Which is your favorite Muzzleloader? Why, the NEXT one, of course!  :luff: :luff: :luff:
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 11:29:30 AM »
That was a good one Nessmuk

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2023, 01:55:57 PM »
+1 for the Pedersoli. Probably the best production gun available. If you can find a used Beretta o/u they are very good. 12ga and no chokes but really good.

IronHand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 03:52:11 AM »
Pedersoli makes a beautiful flinter SxS that I have heard nothing but good things about. I have conversed with a guy who uses his all the time to hunt upland birds. I keep putting money aside to buy one but then I see a pretty longbow and, well, I have to start saving all over again.

Darren
Every man to his own but for me the Pedersoli  sxs flinter is not  for me no comparison to a original  British sxs flintlock
Feltwad

Online LongWalker

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023, 01:07:19 PM »
I think Feltwad has a most-excellent point: even the mid-range stuff of the past handles different (and for some of us, better) than the modern reproductions.  Some years back I had a double-flint made by Ketland.  I even shot a round of sporting clays with it (only such round I've ever shot, can't understand the attraction, but many folks don't understand my obsessions).  The problem with the gun was that I tend to prefer a larger bore in a double. 

So like an absolute IDIOT I traded it off, for what I can't remember.  I've handled but not shot a Pedersoli, not "bad" but different.  Another guy might prefer the Pedersoli to the Ketland. . . .  Heck, I once watched VM Starr shoot a round of trap (another game I don't understand) using a double not much different than my current Belgian double.  As I recall though, he had a much lighter 14 gauge for upland gunning. 

I need to go to some farm auctions this summer, and see watch shows up out of the barns. 

Offline Darren Haverstick

• TMA: Board of Directors, TMA Treasurer
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 01:58:57 PM »
The main reason I mentioned the Pedersoli is because I cannot find a SxS flintlock, brand new, that I can afford. The few that I've been able to find started at 3K and went up from there. Hell, even the used ones that I found that were worth looking at were almost that expensive.

Darren

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2023, 04:32:49 PM »
I must agree British sxs flintlock sporting guns in top condition  hold a good price  Enclosed are images of a sxs UK flintlock which I restored  that was in poor condition  at the latter end of 2022 .This gun turned out   reasonable but not pristine but a gun that is 200years old must look its age and not something like new straight off the shelf this one of the biggest faults of restoration
Feltwad
 [ Invalid Attachment ] [attach

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2023, 04:38:08 PM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2023, 04:39:25 PM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2023, 05:41:04 PM »
I have to say, your work is pretty amazing.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2024
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell