Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Are you up to a Revolutionary sized personal challenge?  (Read 12105 times)

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge / 4 year postal competitor
Re: Are you up to a Revolutionary sized personal challenge?
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2023, 05:56:41 PM »
Well, I'm 0 for 7.  :P It took Nessmuk eight attempts, so maybe next time, or #9, or maybe #10 will do it. If I don't succeed in ten tries, I think I'll throw in the towel.  :pray: [ Invalid Attachment ]
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2023, 03:53:15 PM »
 :hairy It looks like a teensie shift of the rear sight to the right would put you on!  That is an impressive target, shooting cold and offhand.  I need to get out and make another try.  Also to shoot the September target(s).  :toast

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2023, 06:14:15 PM »
Thanks, WH. I agree that a sight shift would help, some, but how do I cure the yips that happen every time I draw down on that shingle? I hope you shoot the Sept targets, but fair warning, the King's X will drive you crazy.  :stooges:
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2023, 11:35:04 AM »
The "Yips"? Is that what it's called? The tiny little terrors you feel when you sight down the barrel and and realize this is the one that really counts?
I still get those. BTW, I'm still trying with my .32.  12 attempts to date and only hit paper twice.  By the way, does this challenge have an expiration date?
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2023, 12:05:31 PM »
Yes, the challenge ends on the "expiration" of the shooter!  YMMV.:laffing

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2023, 10:34:06 PM »
Hey, did you catch the comment made by No Powder in The Campfire section in which he thanks his B-day well-wishers? If you read it carefully, and I missed it the first time, he hit the 100 yard mini shingle, the "postage stamp" a second time! Yep, lightning might not strike twice in the same place, but No Powder does! As the late, great Gunny used to say, "Outstanding!" He received another, larger, Alex Hamilton portrait for his achievement. Can anybody else, Nessmuk perhaps, catch up to him?   :applaud  :toast. I know that Winter Hawk is still trying, and so am I, but anyone else got the grit to try?

Online Salty

« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2023, 05:59:59 PM »
Ha Ha Ive gotta wait for the weather to cool down!  ;)

Sorry I'm coming in so late. But I'llgive it a shot.  :Doh!

Salty

May I wait until the weather warms up?  :luff:

~Kees~

“We’re supposed to be surrounded…we’re paratroopers” Captain Richard Winters, Bastogne 1944

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2023, 07:09:33 PM »
I admire your enthusiasm Salty. Keep up the good work.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2023, 05:42:58 PM »
Well as of 10/12 I'm 0 for 8 on the shingle. I missed the shingle, the sheet it is printed on, and the entire backer. It's finally dawned on me (I'm a slow learner) that had I been a Rev war army recruit I would have qualified for spud peeler first class rather than one of Morgan or Cresap's guys. I think I have two more tries in me before I wave the while flag.  :Doh!

Online Salty

« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2023, 06:17:23 PM »
Well as of 10/12 I'm 0 for 8 on the shingle. I missed the shingle, the sheet it is printed on, and the entire backer. It's finally dawned on me (I'm a slow learner) that had I been a Rev war army recruit I would have qualified for spud peeler first class rather than one of Morgan or Cresap's guys. I think I have two more tries in me before I wave the while flag.  :Doh!

Noooo. Don’t give up.
I missed it as well.
I asked my wife to go to the range with me to spot my shots.
Is that allowed?
“We’re supposed to be surrounded…we’re paratroopers” Captain Richard Winters, Bastogne 1944

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2023, 07:11:40 PM »
There's no reason why she couldn't spot for you, but I think that a large backer would yield more useful info to incorporate in your next cold bore attempt the next time you go to the range to try. In my case, by "big", I mean a backer the side of a refrigerator carton! 😱

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2023, 07:04:30 PM »
I asked my wife to go to the range with me to spot my shots.
Is that allowed?
Sure it's allowed!  :bigsmile: Just remember that it is one shot per day, cold bore, first shot of the day so her spotter duties will probably consist of helping you get the target & backer.  :shake

~Kees~

NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline No Powder

« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2023, 01:43:38 PM »
Today's attempt at the Revolutionary sized target. Another close but no cigar this time. Isn't it frustrating when you are so close but yet so far away. Today's try was with a TC 54 Hawken. 65 grains of FFG Goex, a .018 printed pillow ticking patch and Lehigh Valley patch lubricant. [ Invalid Attachment ]

Online KDubs

« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2023, 08:33:01 AM »
Well at least your trying, I have no excuses, well I do but they are poor.
 Just curious as to your POA ( how high) on the target in relation to the hit .  also at what range is the TC sighted in.
 that's about the same set up I shoot in my TC hawken , save a spit patch rather than lube .
 Kevin

TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline No Powder

« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2023, 09:47:49 AM »
This particular day I wanted to try some different balls & patches. So before getting serious on the bags I just thought I would try this target first. I was trying some 530 Lee cast balls that were tumbled about 2hours . Just a little flat spot remained on the balls. I always loaded that spot up. The patches were the printed ticking that I had inquired about on another thread. I normally shoot my rifles 1 1/2" - 2" high at 50yds. But I shoot lower when shooting off hand. My POA on this target has been at the top of the paper and that gets me relatively close. With my 95 gr. hunting load it would have probably shot higher.