Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: At long last, it's percussion  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: At long last, it's percussion
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2023, 07:32:40 PM »
Looks good, John!  :hairy Now you have to get out and burn some powder, then report back on how she does.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2023, 12:10:16 AM »
Reporting back.
Last Sunday, I took the rifle down the road to the local black powder club's monthly shoot.
Of course, I got there late and missed one relay, but I really wasn't there for the competition, I just wanted to see how the rifle worked with the percussion setup.
Observations:
With RWS rifle caps and MSM Spitfire nipples, the ignition was crisp with no hangfires, misfires or other pesky problems.
Obviously, I had no problems with worn out flints, either.
Although the Leman hammer didn't line up with the nipple perfectly, it didn't seem to make any difference.
A torn rotator cuff does not make for a steady hold.  I think at 100 yards, I could shoot at the center of a 2' culvert and some of the shots would still land outside of it.
I am liking this and I think if I do some shooting off a bench, I should be able to get the load worked in and then adjust the sights for the new ignition.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online KDubs

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2023, 10:16:30 AM »
Better get at it John, rendezvous is only a few weeks away .
 Pretty sure the snows gone up there now.
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2023, 08:36:54 PM »
I didn't think you'd have any trouble with the Nipple alinement John. I've seen this before with other Percussion ML's - and they seemed to fire just fine. Are your RWS caps the "Hot" ones? Even if they aren't, I just don't think it would be a problem as that jet of fire is long gone down that nipple tube when it ignites into the channel to the charge.  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2023, 10:44:37 PM »
Joe,
The CCI caps are regular and "Magnum".
RWS Red Label Caps are a bit hotter than the CCI Magnums.  I have heard that their green label caps are a bit warmer than the red label ones.  They are also a bit longer for use on revolvers, so they won't fall off the nipples.  It's been years since I had any of those.  Considering they are a slow seller, most places won't even stock them.  That's OK, because they are hard to get.  When I was selling RWS caps, I would typically bring in the Red Label and the 4 wing and 6 wing musket caps.  Maybe every third order I would order 5K of the greenies.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 11:23:46 PM »
I use the RWS No. 1075 Plus Caps, and I like them a lot! I use to use the CCI Caps, but when it came time to get more caps - my supplier was out of the CCI's - but he had the RWS caps. IMHO it worked out for me. I simply can not recall ever having an under powered dud with an RWS Cap.  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2024, 02:42:21 PM »
How is the source for caps out there?  I haven't seen any in a long time; I'm down to probably 100 or less, not that I shoot the caplock much; may need to rectify that.  I do have the kit to make my own, made 25 or so and since then it's been sitting.  Hmm, maybe another Winter project...

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2024, 06:46:15 PM »
Kees,, With the amount of shooting I do, I probably have a lifetime supply of both caps and powder.  It has been close to forever since I went into a gun shop and bought caps.  Or anything, really.  Before we sold our business, I made sure I had a good supply of most anything I would need.  As far as powder goes, I have been pretty lucky at the last rendezvous' I went to and bought several pounds, probably all at $15 - $20 a pound.  The last time I went to a monthly local shooting match, they were selling GOEX for $25.  But I didn't need any then.
John

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2024, 03:10:28 PM »
Powder I have, flints I have, lead I have, pillow ticking I have.  Also several types of patch lube, besides saliva.  But caps, that is where I am lacking.  I want to take the Bobcat out and see how I do with it, and that is doable for a while, but then I will be out of caps....  :Doh!  :o
NMLRA Life