Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: A Good Beginners Kit  (Read 2091 times)

Spotted Bull

A Good Beginners Kit
« on: June 22, 2008, 04:35:24 PM »
OK here I go.  I know next to nothing about metalworking.  I would imagine that building a nice rifle will require some metalworking knowledge.  The wodworking I can handle as long as its not too complicated.  So, the question is, are there any good kits out there that don't require any metalwork and minimal woodwork.  Also, what style of rifle would be easiest for a beginner.  I warn ya that once I get started there will probably a lot of questions from me.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 05:43:58 PM »
Rb, first off, get the book, "The Gunsmith of Greenville County" by Alexander, track of the wolf carries it, if you had only this book and basic tools you could build one from scratch following the directions, along with us on the forum who have made the mistakes a time or two to guide you along, you shouldnt have too many problems as long as Murphy doesnt pay a visit, now when you say kit, do you mean a kit such as TOW, Log Cabin or Pecatonica? or a kit such as a Lyman or traditions in kit form and most of what you'll do is fit and finish?, then comes the question, if it is a kit from track or such, how much of their gunsmith services would you like to use?  I would at the very least have them cut the barrel channel and drill the ramrod groove for your first time around, have you had experience in woodworking relieving mortises and do you own a decent set of chisels and some basic decent carving chisels? and a drill press?, from there you should be able to build a raw kit from a supplier together with some basic knowledge, and alot of PATIENCE!!!!!!!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 05:51:43 PM »
Mr Beaverman, sir I will get the book and start aquiring a set of tools and chisels.  Maybe I should start with a kit that is from Lyman or Traditions first.  And no I really don't have that basic knowledge set that I probably need.  With three kids however, I do have a lot of patience.

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 05:52:26 PM »
In my opinion the key word is Patience lots and lots of Patience. Any of the builders on this forum will help you out. I did a scratch build a few months ago with everyones help. I just ordered an inlet stock from Pecatonica and will post the progress and difficulties I have it should be here around the end of this week
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Online BEAVERMAN

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 06:06:07 PM »
Quote from: "RoaringBull"
Mr Beaverman, sir I will get the book and start aquiring a set of tools and chisels.  Maybe I should start with a kit that is from Lyman or Traditions first.  And no I really don't have that basic knowledge set that I probably need.  With three kids however, I do have a lot of patience.

RB then you got he patience to build it! :lol:  :lol:
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 07:21:19 PM »
Does pecatonica have a website?  I found the book on TOW but gotta wait till next week for that.

Cool I found it.

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »
Quote from: "RoaringBull"
Does pecatonica have a website?  I found the book on TOW but gotta wait till next week for that.

Cool I found it.

Here is Pecatonica's website

http://www.longrifles-pr.com/index.shtml
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 10:59:19 PM »
Would a pistol kit be a good place to start?  I would like a nice flinter pistol.

Online BEAVERMAN

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 11:15:32 PM »
Do a rifle first! this may seem like a stupid statement, but... do your learning on a rifle, a pistol is basically the same except you have to cram the same amount of stuff, ie, lock, breech plug, trigger assembly, gaurd etc into a smaller area, can get real ugly real quick! Thats if your going to build from scratch, if your gonna just do some sanding and finish and screw in the parts from a factory kit, thats another story.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline jasontn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 11:50:41 PM »
look at thr post tomG made on a southern rifle he built. it came from mat avance  and had a lot of the really difficult things done to it, the lock plate drilled and tapped, tang drilled and tapped, tenons and sights dovetailed, and the breech fitted as well as the vent liner in. it was almost an in the white gun. tome posted a lot of pics on it.i built a TOW kit and you had to do all of the above to thier kit as well as the final finishing. heres a link to tom's thread

http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingasso ... php?t=7528

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 12:26:37 AM »
I agree, a Matt Avance kit is a good one to start with.
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline TomG

• TMA Forum Member
A Good Beginners Kit
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 10:36:19 AM »
RB you need to call Matt and Toni at TVM.
You can get a kit or in the white rifle.
Pistols are harder then rifles.
My TVM kit had all the metal work and almost all the wood work already done.
My TVM kit was easier then the traditions kit.

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 11:03:35 AM »
Mr. TomG I read that entire thread.  Those are really nice.  I gotta get the money scraped together to get one of those kits. I checked out the website and I'd really like one of those Poor Boy kits.  Soon as I get the money up I'm calling.  Thanks a bunch gentlemen.  I know I am in good hands when I decide to branch out further.

Mr Beaverman, I have been perusing the woodworking sites for some chisel sets too.

Offline Kirrmeister

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 11:27:24 AM »
Hi Roaring bull!

I'm in the same situation as you, but I ordered a Hawken kit from Log Cabin Shop. Still waiting for arriving here in Germany. I have trained wood working and finishing, but I have no idea how to make the metal works except browning and blueing.

Regards

Kirrmeister
TMA-member since Feb 2008, member# 329,

NMLRA member

Keep traditional!

Online BEAVERMAN

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 11:32:15 AM »
RB, go look at woodcarvers supply, they carry Lamp Brand chiseld, made in germany, good steel holds an edge well and the best price Ive seen on  decent carving chisels, when you look around and have decided where to buy, give, drop me a PM and Ill send you the list of chisels and sizes that you will probably use for a build, as far as regular bench chisels, keep your eyes open at barn sales and such and see if you can find some OLD stanleys, or millers falls, disston, socket chisels that are in decent shape or need a little tlc, as far as buying new bench chisels your gonna have sticker shock on a decent set, really only need 3 or 4, and your going to want a#49 nicholson rasp, go back a couple pages here, theres a listing about rasps and a site that sells them at the best price Ive seen, and quit calling me MR.!!!!!!! Im not THAT old YET!LOL
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA