Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Double Barrel Shotgun  (Read 2039 times)

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
Double Barrel Shotgun
« on: October 13, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »
I've never owned one of these and was wondering about them.  If I were to look for one, what would I look for and in what gauge?  My only concern is to get enough use out of it for the expenditure. Is there a way to find good used ones for a good price?
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline Happy Hunter

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 12:40:35 PM »
I just got mine a couple weeks ago at a little gun shop in town. I t is an older Pedersoli 12ga. Cost me $140. I also saw 3 Old doubles at the Log Cabin Shop on Saturday. They were pretty busy, so I didn't get a good look.$ were $99, $250 and 3 something. Not sure what to look for on an older gun, but I like my 12, Just shot a turkey last nite with it at just over 30 yards.
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Thomas Jefferson

NRA Life member
Life member Tusco Rile Club

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 01:56:47 PM »
Well I would recommend at lest a 20 gage .
 Bores should be bright , but  it cant be to deep .
 most time bores can but for in the most exstream cases be freshened  up .

IMO Damascus barrels are alright , just watch the pitting and   if the seller will let you , ring the barrels so  you know the ribs are ok.
 While your doing that   take a look at the breech stamping . Its not uncommon to run across SXS that are listed as 12 gage but actually be 11, 14 or 16 gage  so know what the bore  actually is .
If you have a choice , go for the english barrels over belgium  though

Watch for cracks in the stocks , especially concerning  back action locks .
 Just as with any muzzleloader , check for  good main springs  by cocking the hammers of cocks back .
 The other thing to watch is that   the hammers rest solidly when at the full cock .

Its not uncommon right now to  find late originals for around 150 -300 that are good and sound .
SXS up until recently have not been to collectable , but that is fast changing ..

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 02:46:55 PM »
I've had several.  Pedersoli makes a good shotgun.  The best I ever had was a Beretta over and under muzzleloader.  I could kick myself for selling it.  It even came in a wooden case that was canvas and leather covered.  
Of course smoothbore flintlocks are also shotguns.
There is a single shot "cape gun" on Gunbroker in .69 caliber (12 gauge).  That would be a heck of a great shotgun. I would love to own that one but I don't really need it.  You ought to take a look at it. Here's the like:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =112493736
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »
Depends on what you need it for,if it is just a knock about gun then go for a cheap repro such as Pedersoli , etc .
If you are looking for something that is well built and handles well in 12,14,16 for pheasants etc then the original is the best .Smaller bores such as 20,24,28,are ideal for small winged game  and once again the original is the best .As a purist that is my opinion ,here in the UK the originals out  numbers the repro in the field.
Feltwad
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken house door

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 09:12:47 PM »
currently there are alot of late originals around . i know of an original 10 gage greener that  could be had for 250 .
 you just have to look around .
 alor of the repos are alot highrer  in cost  and IMO  no where near as nice .
 just keep your eye out and  you will find them . but be picky

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 12:21:51 AM »
Captchee - I haven't seen any originals around here.  Where did you see the Greener? Where might a fella look?  What did you mean by "ring the barrels?"  I'm not familiar with that phrase.

Thanks!
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

General Omar N. Bradley

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 10:57:06 AM »
WOW little question that’s  asking for a LONG reply LOL

well lets start by ringing the barrel . We could go in depth as to why this happens but  unless you really want to  the simple explanation is this .
You take the  barrels of the stock and you hang them.
 Normally if im going to gun shows , farm auctions and such I take a 2 ft piece of cotton string  in my pocket , and a small brass rod that’s about  4 inches long  , just for this purpose ..
Any metallic rod will do  really even metal.  . Hang the barrels by the string   and then tap them . You don’t need to hit the barrels hard , just tap them  like you would fine crystal  . What your checking for is that the ribs  are still tight  to the barrel . If they are the barrels will ring a nice sharp DINGGGGGG just like a sweet bell .
 If the buzz  or make a thud sound , that means the barrels have a loose spot .
 Meaning that the  barrels need some work

The greener is a a couple towns away , Im sure  the fella still has it .  I was going to buy it but my wife  wouldn’t let me  said I has enough SXS in my collection  :cry:
 She just happened to walk by as I was looking it over , very poor prior planning on my part .
 The barrels do need to be  cleaned up as there was some pitting  but not bad enough they couldn’t be freshened up . The locks were sound and crisp . No cracks in the stock  and all the engraving was still in fair shape .
 I can  try and give the fella a call today  if your interested .

As to where I look , well I look  everywhere LOL .
 As I stated before , farm auctions are a good spot  and you often get the best prices .
SXS haven’t been to collectable and the prices are still relatively low .
 I also look at gun shows but  the prices at those are usually on the higher side   or way out of reason .
Pawn shops are another good place to keep your eye out  in .  most times you will find them hanging up on a wall , you have to ask . a lot of time they will say they aren’t for sale . But other times  they are  and are up there because they couldn’t sell them .

I also have bought  Many  Originals . LMAO way to many  according to my wife  up at the Monroe WA gun show .
 3 years ago I came home with 7 , all but 1 in shoot able condition  and I didn’t pay over 200 for any of them . In fact the one that  wasn’t shoot able was easily reparable and I paid 125 bucks for.
  LMAO I bought every SXS that was for sail at the show that year LMAO . My wife was not a happy camper  .
 The next year , word got out and  the prices went up 100%,  I didn’t come home with any .
But last year a local club member  wanted a SXS and gave me 300   if I ran across a good one .
 I was  one of the first 25 in the door and . Right inside the door was an original Williams, in reasonable shape  for 225.
 I snagged it  figuring if I came across something nicer  ok , if not , it was a steal .
  All I saw through the rest of the show were a couple originals in the 350-600 range .
A couple CVA’s in the 300 range and 1  Investment Arms for 450 .
 As it turned out , the Williams was a great buy . Stock had  a crack in the wrist , nothing that couldn’t be fixed and the barrel and locks were clean and sound  .

I also watch  while im working and talk to folks  in conversation . You would be surprised what folks bring out . I once  had a  fella  tell me that he new  a man that had a couple old SXS  that  I thought he would sell for cheep ..  The guy was up there in age , lived out on  an old ranch .So I ask  if he would call the person  and see .
 He said im sure they are , I heard he was having some money problems and  such , but ill call

Sure enough  , yep they were for sale . So  we took a trip over to the guys farm  to take a look .
 Now I want to say something here .  When you go into peoples homes , be honest with them . I would say 99% of the time they have no idea what they have . The guns I find for the most part are very Old and handed down through the family . Sadly many art in very good shape  and havent seen the light of day for many years . But still be honest  if the guy  offers to sell you something for 50 bucks and you know its worth  10’s of thousands , tell them . The kindness will come back to you 10 fold .
don’t rush in , sit down , chat  with the person , have coffee . Let the subject of why you are there come naturally
 With this particular case , after a walk out to look at  a new Bull the guy had just bought , a couple pots of Coffee  , he brings out  this 10 gage Remington ,  rabbit eared SXS . At one time it had been a  grade A  SXS , fully engraved  with a high end Bernard ” off on spelling sorry  “  pattern. But  the stock  had once been broke and the fella said his dad had carved a new one  from a  piece of  Oak they had .

I told him I might be interested but  that it was missing a lot of parts.  . He understood  about the Remington  but ask if I would give him 25 bucks for it . I looked it over  and figured with some work I could repair it or at the very least  use a lot of the parts that were left . So I said , How about  I give you 50 . The old guy smiled and said sold .
 He then brings out another old  Belgium gun , also a breechloader  but a very early one .
  He said , you know , I don’t know about this  16 gage but  its been in the family for a while . My dda gave it to me  when I was a boy . He started into this long story , much longer then this one im writing now lol . I sat there an listened for about another hour  about  duck hunts  with his father and such .
 You could see in his eyes that there were a lot of memories in that  old SXS . Finally I said sir , you need to keep this gun .
 IMO you  write all this down . Put it in an envelope and , roll it up and slip it into  one to the barrels . He slowly got up and put it away .
Comes back out and says  well son , that’s all I have I guess , that’s worth anything .
  I said well sir I think you  for a fine day , if you know of anyone that has any old muzzleloaders , that what im really looking for .
 He say you mean those old front stuffers ? Ya I said  that’s what  really hold a place  for me ..
 Then he says . I have one  but  its not much good .  Its been in the family for  who knows how long . My grandfather said it was his grandfathers and they brought it with them when they homesteaded this ranch back in 68 .
So you know what he meant by 68 , that 1868.  Heck if its any good , id just give it to ya .
 It should be out in the barn  in and old trunk of  things .
So we made another trip to the barn  with  full coffee cups . Listening to him tell me how he had meant to throw all this old stuff away  but just had never found the time .
 To make a  very long story even longer LOL , this wasn’t just a trunk . This thing was a SEA chest about 5 ft long  with  big bands going around it .  You could see that at one time it had been covered in leather .
 I mentioned  that  which lead to another story  about his great ,great grandfather was a Ships captain if he recalled . .
 As he opened the trunk , it was filled with letters and pictures  on top .  He just scoped them  out onto the floor . Under those  were dresses and petty coats and such . I remember thinking WHOLLY SMOKES!!!!!!! And saying SIR!!!! You need to take this stuff down to the local historical society .
  Which just got me a  odd look .
 But anyway eventually he  says , ahhhhh here it is  and he pulls out the   dress that wrapped around  this  gun . He laughs and says you know I haven’t seen this since I was a boy . Cant tell you what shape its in .
 He un wrapps it and drops the dress to the floor .
 There in this old mans hands  rested a Manton SXS flintlock  in about 75% condition .
To tell you the truth I about went to the floor with that dress  .
 The old guy says , I know its not much , always been in this trunk , don’t really know anything about it .
 Im standing there looking at the  inscription with the name  Joseph Manton, my mind just  shifted into neutral and I remember say something like  JESUS .

The locks worked flawlessly . The original  RR with a wonderful hourglass  shape  at the tip was still in place . .
 I said sir , I cant take this
The old guy started to get upset  and said I told you it wasnt much .
 No I said  I really cant take this . And I told him about the maker , about the locks  about what he had  and that he really needed to get  this ensured  and that IMO the SXS was worth in the neighborhood of 25 thousand  but I wasn’t sure .
 He started to laugh  said , that would be nice  but I doubt its worth all that
I quickly placed a call  on my cell ,to a  guy I know who is a collector and we spent the next 45 minutes  on the phone  checking markings  and numbers .
 The gun now sits in his collection vault  don’t know what he ended up paying for it but  I here it was enough  to  help they old fella out immensely.
  But because of that kindness , mind you , I could have taken that  SXS and ran  like a fox from a hen house . But because of that kindness , folks remember  or have heard  and  they take me at my word  because they know im not going to cheat them .
  Sometimes I come home and there is a box of original gun parts on my porch . No name , nothing , just sitting there .
 Others bring  me old SXS and ask if  I can fix them so they can shoot them  or they here that I have some old parts and they need something . Be it a firing pin , maybe a mainspring or such  for GG grandpas  shotgun .
I don’t charge for those  parts  that get left , I just pass them on to folks here and there

So  butterchurn just take your time , look around , there is a lot of them out there  to be had .

In fact  ill send you a PM  I have something you may be interested in

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 11:26:38 AM »
Captchee,

Thanks for the wonderful story.  Your point is well said.  In my other hobby (ham radio)  you get unscrupulous people preying on widows all the time when their husbands die and leave her with radio equipment that she doesn't know the value of and they just come in and steal it from her.  Honesty is always the mark of good character and true civilized people.

I am very interested in the receiving a PM from you.  looking forward to it.

Ron
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

General Omar N. Bradley

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 11:55:30 AM »
should be in your in box now

Offline Chairslayer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Member # 239
  • TMA Member: Membership expires 3/27/ 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 12:13:14 PM »
Cap, that is one of the greatest stories I have ever read.
Dan Egener
TMA #239 Expires 3-14-2017
Learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.

Offline FG1

• TMA Contributing Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 12:48:30 PM »
Cap' great story and sage advise to boot !
NRA Life Member

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 12:51:52 PM »
OHHHh you would be surprised what  is still out there in folks closets .
 in fact , the falla i mentioned above that is a collector , i met at a farm auction .well actually it was an estate sale but
  he Bit me hard that day  LOL
 im standing there looking at this old half stock  rifle .
 was kinda  rusty  and such . but the stock was clean enough you could see that it was at one time very high grade .
 normally i dont take much money to these things . if i do i get carried away and spend it  so  i let the wife  give me my allowance LOL
 but anyway , im looking at this rifle and this guy is standing next to me . we get to chatting about  guns .
 Im a nice enough guy and when the fella ask what it  I thought it was worth , i said , i dont know  maybe 100 ??? was a nice rifle at one time .
 he just smiles at me .
 the auctioneer started the bidding at 50 bucks , not one taker , he dropped it to 25  and I bid .
 Then this other fella bids  as well and im thinking ok this guy is a  auction scammer that’s bidding me up . So I let the bid go , going once .going twice  . Just to let the fella know that I wasn’t going to go over 150 for that rifle .  See momma had only given me 175 to spend .
  They guy bids again and I thought YOU,!@#$ ….^&%$  and I went 175 . He bidds me up again ,
 But im done , that all I had .
 He then comes over to me  and apologizes  and says ,  son , that there rifle is worth  a lot more then  you think . Gives me his card  and says call me in a couple weeks , ill have it cleaned up .
 So Im miffed  but I called him and went over for coffee  we talk a while and we go down stairs . Low and behold the rifle was an Original Derringer  LMAO  and a real Butte to .
 Well some times you win , sometimes you lose , you just never know .
 Im strictly small time and don’t have a lot of spending money . Sometimes I win  but  most times I don’t LOL
 but i buy   the ones i like  sometimes they are just junk , other times i find that i have something . but i enjoy them all

Offline SquirrelHeart

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 02:48:27 PM »
Cap,

The richness of the stories are surpassed onlyby the goodness of your honesty.  Very refreshing, it is nice to know there are still folks out there with integrity.
Curtis aka SquirrelHeart
TMA Member #320
Exp. Date 04/25/11
NMLRA Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 02:51:23 PM »
What Cap said about ringing the barrels is correct but there is another  fault you can pick out by the same method and that is a crack in a damascus barrel most often on the the seam which cannot be seen with the naked eye.
I have done restoration of antiques for many decades and have  occasionally come across  a cracked barrel .
As for antiques still out there it is surprizing what comes out of the woodwork we call them {sleepers}I have obtained many muzzle loaders like this
The best period for them was the 1950s here in the UK with a lot of rebuilding and modernization after the war a lot of these old guns came to light and where did most end up,. in the States
Feltwad
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken house door