Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: The 'new ' Walker Colt...  (Read 4496 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: The 'new ' Walker Colt...
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 11:59:49 PM »
Quote from: RussB
At one time I owned a 1858 Rem Target Model with adjustable sights, but the guys wouldn't let me shoot with 'em cause I'd win all their Nickles & Dimes.... just about every time.
Since those guns were few and far between at that time, they decided to change the rules of the game a little bit to non-adjustable sights, so I traded that 1858 Rem. for another Colt. 

Russ,.... I also had one of those Pietta 1858 Rem Target Models, bought it at Cabelas in the mid 80's, and it shot like'a house on fire.  :bl th up
Sold it later to buy gun parts for a rifle I was building,.... and didn't buy another Pietta 1858 until the early 2000's. It didn't take long to discover it was just as accurate as the 1st. one even though it had the non-adjustable sights.  :bl th up

Since then, I've bought a couple more (another one with the 8" barrel, and one with the 5" barrel) to keep it company.  :)

Those pistols are "real shooters" for sure.  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2018, 12:11:01 AM »
Kees,..... I've spent more than a few dollars in Down Under Guns back when I lived in Alaska, it was and still may be, the only place that stocked real black powder in that part of the country.  :bl th up

Oh,.... and I have a cousin that lives in North Pole.  :)
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 03:22:11 AM »
Quote from: rollingb
Oh,.... and I have a cousin that lives in North Pole.  :)

Rondo, old friend, old' pal....that Cousinn of yours, Does he wear a Red Suit?
If he does, I've been dying to meet this guy since I was a kid.

This "Man in the Red Suit" has brought me more guns than I can remember.
It seems Christmas is a great time for love ones to get us that one thing we have been looking at all year, trying to get our pennies together so we can grab it up....then Boom! There it is under the tree, and always signed "From: Santa Claus

Yes Sir, you're spot on about those 58 Remmy's. In the right hands, they will take your lunch money for an entire week....and make ya wish ya hadn't shown up to shoot that event.
In Chaparral New Mexico, we shot "reduced range / reduced targets"  using small-bore Silhouette Targets for the Pistolero match.
they were set 20, 30, 40, and 50 yds.
The 58 Remmies was definitely the premier gun for these matches, The Colts shot to high to be really effective, and it was always a "adjust by the dust" situation.
But if the targets were moved out to 40, 50, 60 and 70yds the Colts always placed strong...no matter what range they set, those stupid Chickens were a major pain.

My next C&B is going to be a 3rd Dragoon....the few I have shot have been an absolute joy.
Great balance, they 'hold' really good, and they're as close in accuracy as any center-fire I have shot at 40 yds....Great Gun!
Can't understand why Samuel Colt designed those pistols for such long range back in the day, maybe he was afraid somebody would get hurt, or maybe intentionally shot at 75 plus yds?

The sights on the 3rd Model Dragoon are much more reasonable for a pistolero actually trying to hit something. Perhaps that's  why more of them were  made, and actual issued to the Troops for a few years...The Calvary needed constant 'shoot ability' a lot worse than they needed a lucky 100 yd shot....yet, there was only one proven incident of a 100 yd shot with a Walker Colt.   

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 09:43:40 AM »
All, I'm still wondering whether I did the right thing last March when I didn't purchase an unfired Uberti replica of the 1861 (?) Colt's Navy revolver.  The price was $200 less sales tax.  It felt good in my hand and had a nice light trigger, but having just come into the store from firing my .22cal. Ruger target pistol (Gov't. Model), I just didn't like the feel of that narrow trigger blade.  After I got home, I phoned the store and tried to put a deposit on the gun, but they didn't seem to be interested.  Alas, it was gone the next day. :Doh!

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 10:39:58 AM »
Rondo, old friend, old' pal....that Cousinn of yours, Does he wear a Red Suit?
If he does, I've been dying to meet this guy since I was a kid.

Sorry Russ,.... my cousin in North Pole is a woman.  :laffing
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2018, 05:24:49 PM »
OK, so we look at the .45-70 revolvers and say, "OMG!!"
But, have you ever seen that stacked barrel Derringer in .45-70?  That takes insane to another whole level.  Not so sure I would want to shoot that one.  IIRC, they say you can also shoot a .45 Colt cartridge or a .410 shotgun shell in it.
We now return control of your computer to guns that load properly.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2018, 09:11:02 PM »
We now return control of your computer to guns that load properly.

:bl th up  :toast

Kees
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 03:46:17 AM »
Fellow Members, in a few posts back I have deleted one of the Photos.
There was NOTHING Traditional about several of the guns in that one picture, although they were all revolvers.
I have sincerely regretted posting that picture, since about 10 minutes after making the post.....That was a "Dang, Wish I hadn't done that moment"!

And I ask for your forgiveness.

Like many of you, I own and I shoot a lot of different guns......when I'm able to shoot.
But this forum is not the place to show them off....unless, of course it's a Traditionally styled gun...period!

The pictures I posted were old pictures, and that one that I came up with after a somewhat extensive search was totally not appropriate for this forum...my computer is loaded with "unnamed" pictures, it has been since we lost Photobucket, and I tried to retrieve many of my own before that ship sank on me.
Many, if not most, are very old and inappropriate for a Traditional Muzzleloading Forum.

In the future I promise to not post anything inappropriate, which will include any of my modern guns.
My deepest apologies for letting that photo slip through yesterday...although I may be proud of it,  there is nothing Traditional about it, and it shouldn't have been shared on this forum.

My apologies and I hope you all understand.

Respectfully, Uncle Russ...

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 07:32:27 PM »
As shucks, Russ, inappropriate, maybe, but surely not a mortal sin.  So, go your way and sin no more.  For your penance, post three photos of absolutely beautiful muzzleloading rifles.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 08:06:54 PM »
Russ, all I got's to say is we expect to see you in the handgun matches with that hogleg!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 05:39:11 PM »
But.... but.... but there were muzzle loading revolvers in there also!  That should have made the photos appropriate!   :o :laffing

Kees
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 06:43:17 PM »
Well Russ, I sorta did the same thing last week on the ALR Forum.  You see there was a pistol postal match for October over there and I entered with a revolver, not a sidekick as per ALR Forum rules.  Worse, I posted a photo of both my target, and gulp, the offending piece, a Ruger Old Army (stainless steel).  That photo was later removed, but not by me.  Ironically, the match sponsor had no problem with it. :applaud You'll have to excuse me while I continue flagellating myself over my thoughtlessness. :pray:

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2018, 07:23:55 PM »
"Flagellating"....  :Doh!

(I had to look that one up, now, after reading it, I suspect I may owe myself a bit of Flagellating too, although I dread the thought.)

The funny thing is, I fully understand.
Had I thought, I could have prevented my own embarrassment....so maybe it was the devil that made me do it.... Heck, I don't know.
But I do know, it didn't take long for me to realize the mistake.
Even though I love shooting that old gun, this forum was just not the place for it, and I knew that before I posted that picture, although there were a few Period Correct C&B Revolvers, a couple of them were not...I could have "cut" those out, it's just I felt a bit over jubilant even finding that old picture...

I hope everyone takes into consideration, and realizes how easy it can be to make such a mistake,
I know I do...... And I also know I will do my best to be a little 'kinder' on the forum should others slip-up and make that same mistake.....as long as they don't talk about or promote such guns. We are all human beings, and as such, we all make mistakes.

Russ...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 09:14:00 PM »
"Didn't put enough percussion revolvers in your picture, Russ... Saw it right off..."  :laffing :lol sign :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline nightwolf1974

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2020, 11:24:08 PM »
Anyway, I have a brand new Walker, still unfired,

Ain't there a law (or sumpthin),.... against havein' an "unfired" pistolgun??????  :o :o

I'm sure I read that somewheres years ago.  :laffing :applaud :toast :bl th up

Was the most powerful production handgun UNTIL the .357 magnum came out in 1934!
live wild, live free!