Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: My Osage Orange Horse Bow in the makin'  (Read 3946 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
My Osage Orange Horse Bow in the makin'
« on: January 27, 2019, 11:46:34 PM »
Just got word from Steve Donker in Cheyenne Wyoming (The Wicked Limb), with the latest update of the progress on my new osage orange Horse Bow,....

Rondo

Just wanted to show you the skins I got in the mail friday.  They are western diamond back  rattlers from eldarado KS.  For some reason I was thinking the guy I get these from was in Arizona  but I was mistaken.   Anyway he always has  first rate skins.  They are always in perfect condition and the pattern is really nice.  The more I work on this bow the more excited I get to see the end result.   This whole bow building thing really is an addiction.   

I have also done some rough tillering  and even took a few short draw shots with it this afternoon.   

I'll keep you posted on the progress.   

This bow will be backed with sinew and rattle snake skins.  :applaud
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: My Osage Orange Horse Bow in the makin'
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 08:16:26 AM »
That's looking good Rondo. We've both known Steve for a long time and one thing about the Donker's is if they're doing something for you - it's gonna be done right! I can hardly wait to see it at the Rendezvous this year.  :bl th up

Heck Rondo, I'm surprised you didn't go down on the Cimarron River and wrestle yourself a couple sidewinders to send Steve... :o
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 11:18:33 AM »
That's looking good Rondo. We've both known Steve for a long time and one thing about the Donker's is if they're doing something for you - it's gonna be done right! I can hardly wait to see it at the Rendezvous this year.  :bl th up

Heck Rondo, I'm surprised you didn't go down on the Cimarron River and wrestle yourself a couple sidewinders to send Steve... :o

Joe,.... if'n I ever get close enough to a rattle snake to "wrestle" him,.... there ain't gonna be enough left of that slitherin' critter to "back" a toothpick. :o (I hate snakes)

For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 12:10:44 PM »
Thats looking to be a beautiful bow! What poundage are you aiming for? Btw, Eldorado is only 20 miles from me but I didnt know they had rattlers there😳
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 12:51:32 PM »
Thats looking to be a beautiful bow! What poundage are you aiming for? Btw, Eldorado is only 20 miles from me but I didnt know they had rattlers there😳

Hi Dan,.... Steve is aiming for 45-50 pounds draw weight.  :bl th up

I've always wanted a "snakey" horse bow, and it looks as though this is going to be good one,.... if nothing unexpected happens.  :bl th up
I bought an osage orange bow (backed with silk) from Steve last summer, and gave it to my son and he loves it.

My next project is make a couple of early-1800's (western plains and rocky mountain) quivers for both bows, but I'm having trouble finding out EXACTLY how they were made. I have found a few pictures of Apache, Crow, and Sioux, quivers in museums, but not much else.

I want to make the quivers out of brain tanned deer and elk hides.  :bl th up
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 02:13:54 PM »
Joe,.... if'n I ever get close enough to a rattle snake to "wrestle" him,.... there ain't gonna be enough left of that slitherin' critter to "back" a toothpick. :o (I hate snakes)

I hear ya Rondo, but I wouldn't be able to hear ya for long as I'd be a quarter mile down the road... :lol sign

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 03:17:55 PM »

I hear ya Rondo, but I wouldn't be able to hear ya for long as I'd be a quarter mile down the road... :lol sign
:hairy :lol sign......Joe,... I don't remember if I ever told you the story (while we were *cough, cough* drinkin' coffee around the campfire), 'bout when I was a young'un (a bit younger'n Lucas), and I was swingin' on a limb of an old apple tree my folks had behind their house, when a big ol' snake (20-30 feet long :o) dropped down across my neck and shoulders.  :o

After runnin' a spell, I noticed the snake was GONE, and after my heart slowed down to about 300 beats'a minute, I finally had time to do some thinkin',... and figgured I must'a jiggled that critter loose from a limb higher up above, while he was on his way up to a bird's nest lookin for baby birds.  :o

I never swung on that apple tree limb agin, without havin' a gun in one hand.  :hairy
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »

My goodness, there is hope fer Rondo!  :applaud

Ain't never going to be no snakeskin on anything I have to hold in my hand, period....
I realize it's a very popular thing to do, and there's much to be said about doing this, but personally, I would end up killing my own bow before I shot the first arrow.

I hate snakes! Live ones, dead ones, even sticks that look like snakes.
Snakes, much like electricity, seems to always make me hurt myself!
At my age, ya just don't take that chance.

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 04:53:33 PM »

My goodness, there is hope fer Rondo!  :applaud

Ain't never going to be no snakeskin on anything I have to hold in my hand, period....
I realize it's a very popular thing to do, and there's much to be said about doing this, but personally, I would end up killing my own bow before I shot the first arrow.

I hate snakes! Live ones, dead ones, even sticks that look like snakes.
Snakes, much like electricity, seems to always make me hurt myself!
At my age, ya just don't take that chance.

Russ...

:lol sign :laffing,...... Russ,... smashin' my bow to death IS one of my concerns.  :hairy :lol sign

I can just picture,.... me'n Joe sittin' around the campfire at night (drinkin' *cough, cough* coffee),.... and after the coffee bottle is empty, I go stumblein'/staggerin' back to my camp and fall into bed,.... and when I wake up the next morning, I see my brand-new bow all "kinked and crooked" on the ground, where I must'a accidently stepped on it when I went to bed,... so I pick it up and place it beside me on the bed, while lovingly and carefully straightin' it all back out.

As the fog in my brain begins to lift, and my vision starts to clear,.... I then,.... notice my wife has already hung my new bow from the tent's ridge pole, where it is safe and out of the way.  :) :bl th up

The first thing that usually pops into my hed, under such circumstances, is,...... "hummm,..... I don't 'member buyin' 2 bows."    :o
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 08:10:23 PM »
 :lol sign

I'm a just a prayin'  :pray: when it gets dark, and we've been a'drinkin' so much (*cough, cough* coffee) thet weezz don't start a'seein' two of them wooden bow critters.  :o  Why I don't know what would happen with the two of us'ns runnin' through camp in the dark with our jug (I mean coffee pot) and a shootin' our pistol's at the ground behind us...  :laffing

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 08:53:17 PM »
:lol sign

I'm a just a prayin'  :pray: when it gets dark, and we've been a'drinkin' so much (*cough, cough* coffee) thet weezz don't start a'seein' two of them wooden bow critters.  :o  Why I don't know what would happen with the two of us'ns runnin' through camp in the dark with our jug (I mean coffee pot) and a shootin' our pistol's at the ground behind us...  :laffing

:lol sign,.... I reckon we could tell everbody, that we was doin' the "Hopi Snake Dance". :bl th up :toast
https://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Hopi+Snake+Dance
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 09:11:43 PM »
Well heck Rondo, I'm in since the rules say;

"nowadays they usually wear underwear and cut their hair short."

But I'm a thinkin' if'n it a comes to snake fleeing - well,,, this old boy may have no choice but to chuck the undies 'cause they might be a bit ripe...  :laffing

Spotted Bull

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 07:25:52 AM »
I love snakes, personally. They make great pets.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 10:25:43 AM »
I love snakes, personally. They make great pets.

Then I should probably give each of my new-found "pets" a proper name,.... since they're going on my bow. :)  :bl th up

Maybe somethin' like,..... "Top",.... and,... "Bottom"?  :lol sign :lol sign  :hairy
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 03:15:45 PM »
Awwww, give some class. How about Upper and Lower.  :laffing
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend