Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Wrong Choice Of Powder For A Flintlock.  (Read 2798 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Wrong Choice Of Powder For A Flintlock.
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 10:09:03 AM »
I'm sure glad the Hodgepodge rifle has faster ignition than what that fellow had!   :laffing :laffing :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 07:56:33 PM »
Yes, that certainly was the wrong powder to be using, there's no doubt about it...

Kees, you'll like this;

In the past I've played around with 1fg Meteor Black Powder (from the '70's) that was made in England as a replacement powder when Dupont had its fire...

Anyway, I've tested this powder in calibers of; .40, .45, .50, .54, and my 28ga smoothy, and have tested it in flintlock as well as in caplocks...

Now one would think that this 1fg would be slow igniting "black powder" - but it's not, it's quick!!! The only draw back to it is that it's "dirty" - however I can get 3 to 5 shots off in a .45 caliber flintlock with it before having to have to swab the barrel,,, and in my Ed Rayl .40 caliber barrel (caplock rifle) I once got 11 shots off (40 grain charge) in a row and I think I could have kept on going a bit more, but it was time to go home...

How anyone could possibly think to do a video and post it using Pyrodex in a flintlock and that "slooooooow" ignition, and to do it over and over,,, well it just puzzles the heck out'a me...  But it was entertaining...  :laffing
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Spotted Bull

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2020, 09:23:43 PM »
Just got to watch the video. Kinda painful. No muzzle discipline at all when loading. And I bet ya $100 he used two patches with that second round. As easy as the first one was to load, he was probably using too thin a patch.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2020, 06:39:56 PM »
I shot my June postal targets today with the Hodgepodge rifle.  70 grains of Schuetzen FFg powder behind the .45 patched round ball, and primed with FFg also, from the horn.  Ignition was almost instantaneous for 14 shots.  I was happy!

;D ~Kees~ ;D
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2020, 07:51:23 PM »
I shot my June postal targets today with the Hodgepodge rifle.  70 grains of Schuetzen FFg powder behind the .45 patched round ball, and primed with FFg also, from the horn.  Ignition was almost instantaneous for 14 shots.  I was happy!

;D ~Kees~ ;D

Good on you Kees!!!  :hairy :yessir:

Believe it or not, I sometimes shoot that old Meteor 1fg Black Powder (made in the '70's in Britain to help with the American BP supply when Dupont had its accident) in my .45 caliber flintlocks - but I do prime it with 4fg... It actually works pretty darn good!!!

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2020, 08:15:06 PM »

;D ~Kees~ ;D

:hairy :hairy :hairy
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2020, 07:09:03 PM »
I DO have FFFFg for priming, decided to prime from the horn and was pleasantly surprised how well it worked with FFg.  I used to do that with 3Fg but hadn't with the 2F.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2020, 07:15:13 PM »
from my readings, 2f would have been a luxury powder of sorts back in the 18th century, maybe early 19th as well.  everyone primed and loaded from one horn.  i prefer it that way, too, mostly with 3f but i still also use 1-1/2f as i always have twenty or so pounds of that flavor in the powder chest for those newfangled "modern" late 19th century guns :) 

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2020, 07:57:48 PM »
I DO have FFFFg for priming, decided to prime from the horn and was pleasantly surprised how well it worked with FFg.  I used to do that with 3Fg but hadn't with the 2F.

~Kees~

Kees, only reason I use 4fg is because I have two cans of it, and if I don't use it for that - I'm probably not going to use it at all...

Now I've primed with 3fg, 2fg, and even that old Meteor 1fg powder, and they all work just fine.

IMHO, there is no wrong choice when it comes to the 1fg, 2fg, and 3fg,,, but I wouldn't as rule load 4fg into any muzzleloading rifle - simply because of the pressure on ignition...  :hairy