Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Rebuilding a fowler  (Read 3027 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Rebuilding a fowler
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 04:32:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on the new stock!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 03:30:48 AM »
Can you give a close up of the for end where it meets the barrel . I f the gun started has a  half stock then then there would have been provision for a silver or horn cap just in front of the  ramrod escutcheon .It is difficult to make out but I would say it started has a full stocked  and later a ramrod rib was fitted . If the lock is original it is early type minus  the bridle  with a brass butt plate the trigger   guard would also have been brass with a acorn finial  making it between 1750-1810 but it could be older. You mentioned the stock for what I can see  to me it can be salvaged  Good luck
Feltwad

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 09:57:53 PM »
Can you give a close up of the for end where it meets the barrel . I f the gun started has a  half stock then then there would have been provision for a silver or horn cap just in front of the  ramrod escutcheon .It is difficult to make out but I would say it started has a full stocked  and later a ramrod rib was fitted . If the lock is original it is early type minus  the bridle  with a brass butt plate the trigger   guard would also have been brass with a acorn finial  making it between 1750-1810 but it could be older. You mentioned the stock for what I can see  to me it can be salvaged  Good luck
Feltwad

Feltwad is the man for outstanding information on this subject!  :hairy

How you been Feltwad. Do you have any projects going on now? Good to see you!!!  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 02:50:19 AM »
Joe
Well I am still here  not much restoration done because of the corvid lock down ,  both the wife and me have been in lockdown for a year I get out for 1/4 hour a week to collect my pension from the post office . My daughter does the shopping we would have been in a bad state  for getting the essentials
Restoration have almost come to a stand still  have done a few pin fire shotguns also a Joseph Manton sxs percussion that I bought in bits  it did turn out OK  that's all , has for pest control and game shooting that has all been stopped .Well that's about it  hopefully in the near future we will be back to normal  Cheers and stay safe
Feltwad

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 07:03:58 AM »
hopefully in the near future we will be back to normal

Yes sir, this covid lock down has played havoc everywhere, and with everything. I hope we're getting back onto the road of normal...  You all stay safe, Feltwad...  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2021, 01:37:28 PM »
Yessir, what Joe said as well, stay safe, Feltwad, and don't let any of them ol' Covid bugs catch up with you.  I will be getting my second Pfizer shot tomorrow, and then I will feel a bit safer, but still will not let my guard down.  Here in our county, we have been moved down to red level, which means we can have indoor dining in limited capacity and relaxed restrictions on other businesses.  Even our movie theatre, which has been closed for a year will be reopening this month, also, I am sure, on limited capacity.  Have you had your vaccinations yet?

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2021, 01:54:15 PM »
Another Legend has  returned! Could it be the world is starting to return to something  approximating normal?

Welcome back, Feltwad!
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2021, 03:43:18 AM »
Thanks for the welcome fellas  but to be honest I have not really been away I have signed in from time to time  to see what has been the topic  I will go through  the latest restorations  before lockdown and will post  . Stay safe
Feltwad  :bl th up

PS enclosed is a image of a sxs 12 bore percussion that I bought in bits at auction 3 months ago by Josh Manton  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2021, 04:46:35 AM »
Some thing went wrong when entering images only needed one  but got many  apologise
Feltwad

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2021, 08:43:45 PM »
This tech stuff sometimes does strange things!  Nice shottygun!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2021, 02:47:02 AM »
I agree sometimes the tech stuff  does  strange things for me , But getting back to the original thread of Shoot jr 2003  how is the restoration going  . May I suggest  the drum and nipple will need  a good thread  when fitted does it but up to the threads of the plug which has a V in the plug for a flash  channel or does it enter the bore to the front of the plug. The reason I asked  is I have seen some blow out mostly when they but up to the breech plug because they  are screwed up to tight against the plug  and stripping  the threads on the drum and nipple. Hope this have been of some help keep us informed of the progress  Cheers
Feltwad   

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2021, 01:09:10 AM »
Here is an update,first feltwad did you ask for a close up of the muzzle and rib or the stock and rib there is a pic of the front stock and rib 1st page.I am in the process of teaching myself  stock making ,two stocks, the Fowler and a Curley maple stock for my Lyman GPR.I have done stocks just not muzzleloader stocks with octagons I am using files ,chisels  and router and gouges for the Fowler’s round channel section.aA good chunk  of the Fowler’s stock is wood filler and there is little side left to the barrel channel.
  We’re these fiowlers Finished in the white,browned or blued.?the breech plug has the v ground into it at drum entrance hole
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2021, 03:01:51 AM »
Some thing went wrong when entering images only needed one  but got many  apologise
Feltwad

The extra images have been removed.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2021, 12:38:23 PM »
Here is an update,first feltwad did you ask for a close up of the muzzle and rib or the stock and rib there is a pic of the front stock and rib 1st page.I am in the process of teaching myself  stock making ,two stocks, the Fowler and a Curley maple stock for my Lyman GPR.I have done stocks just not muzzleloader stocks with octagons I am using files ,chisels  and router and gouges for the Fowler’s round channel section.aA good chunk  of the Fowler’s stock is wood filler and there is little side left to the barrel channel.
  We’re these fiowlers Finished in the white,browned or blued.?the breech plug has the v ground into it at drum entrance hole
Most  muzzle loading guns are fished in the white , take care with the drum and nipple  do not screw it up too tight and strip the threads
Feltwad

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2021, 06:40:12 PM »
I believe the drum needs to be replaced though it threads in the threads on the drum are not many and in poor condition only a bit more than 1 full thread exists and it is an incredibally beat up piece of metal at both ends. [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609