Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Diabetics  (Read 16635 times)

Offline Geezer in NH

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Diabetics
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2014, 08:17:40 PM »
Wow I had that with prednisone for my arthritis, don't blame you I will never take the prednisone again.

Offline Geezer in NH

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2015, 06:40:36 PM »
I am now using a different insulin. Changing diet and exercise took me to 80 units of Levermin. My INS Provider changed to Lantus solostar. MY DR. said it may need to be reduced as it seems to work for longer periods.

I now watch my levels with testing. It seems my bedtime level makes the most sense and experimenting the standard opinion does not agree They just use the average not mine.

Three weeks ago I went down to 51 (do Not go there) on the BS at 3am and my wife unit helped take care of it.

I now watch my BS amount and change by 3-6 units at night.

Doctors are only trained for the average it seems.

Learn ALL you can no matter what, the doctors do NOT know your condition

Offline Jack Ryan

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2015, 11:49:09 AM »
Rule 1.  If it tastes good, spit it out.

Diabetes was less common back in the day because most people didn't live long enough to wear out their pancreas. Alcohol was pretty much the only treatment for anything from a broken arm to tuberculosis. People just died.

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2015, 12:59:09 PM »
Quote from: "Jack Ryan"
People just died.

Jack,
       With all the advances in medicine that still occurs on occasion.
snake-eyes  :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2015, 04:36:21 PM »
Agree with most of what's been posted.

My wife is type I.  Initial onset was at 55.  Said a virus killed her pancreas.  Been a long fight for her but she is doing a good job of managing it.  Anyway, I have more insight than 10 years ago and more willing to work at it.

Now I'm told I'm borderline/pre/marginal/almost/kinda/sorta diabetic but diabetic nurse says it's partially because the "experts" have changed the threshold numbers.  She also said that before all of the number tweaking there was an allowance for slightly higher numbers for older folks.  

No pills or insulin.  I now eat a little less, minimize the bread, etc. but still eat anything I want any time I want - just in moderation. A1C stays around 61 (see above re "experts") even with morning fasting numbers 123-145.  2 hrs after lunch today BS was 105. Nurse person said to just keep on doing what I'm doing.  Fortunate to have no family history of type II.

Lost 13 lbs in 13 weeks with no additional exercise by just cutting back.  Hip, back, knees, etc don't like power walking on asphalt so going to join the Y and do lap swimming for a few months to see what that does.  To bad hiking around on the hunting lease 4 hours looking for drops, rubs, scrapes etc isn't considered aerobic exercise enough.
TC
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Offline Jack Ryan

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2015, 05:56:19 PM »
Quote from: "snake eyes"
Quote from: "Jack Ryan"
People just died.

Jack,
       With all the advances in medicine that still occurs on occasion.
snake-eyes  :shake

Doctors call it practice for a reason.

They haven't won one yet.

Offline Mad Irish Jack

• TMA Contributing Member
    • Rangers of the Ohio Company
  • TMA Member: Tma Member #796
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2017, 06:09:07 PM »
I'm a new paid member, older on the site. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic 4 yeas ago. Also, 2 months later, told I suffer from the gout. The problem I have is that the foods that are great for diabetics are not so good for those who suffer the gout. So I watch the amounts of what I eat. I used to eat oats at rondy like a snack food, Brings on a grout attack if I have about 2+ cups. I can't eat organ meet, liver and heart of my deer or anything. I take my meds, watch my intake, and enjoy myself.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
   The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2019, 05:54:04 PM »
Absolutely great discussion. Was surprised to see it, but have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Two months ago my doctor told me I had a choice. Either get my diabetes under control or be prepared to go blind, have my kidneys crap out, or lose an appendage. Some choice, huh? She put the fear of God into me (according to my wife...lol)

Since then I have gotten rid of all fats, sugar and big carbs from my diet...and the doctor said she could not believe the change. My blood sugar was so consistent low that I had to stop using one insulin all together, and lowered my other from 78 units a day to 25. The kicker is I am feeling better than I have in years...in fact, that is one reason I have joined TMA. I am feeling so good I just had to get back to a hobby that I have always enjoyed.

So again, thanks for the great discussion.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
  • Oft muß Mann "zum Teufel damit"
    • reenactor.Net
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #819. Membership expiration 11/24/2022
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2019, 02:22:58 PM »
I have diabetes. Sometimes I care, sometimes I don't. I mostly cut back on sodas. If I die, I die.
Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Head Village Idiot at www.reenactor.Net and www.romanobritain.org

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2019, 08:54:54 PM »
Hey Flinch. I hear ya, and have felt that way myself..."life is a terminal condition...aint none of us getting out of it alive..."

But, about 7-8 months ago my doc read me the riot act...actually scared the caring right back into me. She told me that I was pushing hard up against either kidney failure, going blind and possibly losing an appendage. Needless to say, but she got my attention.

So I completely revamped my eating habits...and lost about 30-35 pounds in the process. But the best part is I feel better than I have in years, and I now have the energy to get out in the woods again.

In the end we all have to do what we can and want to do. For me, well, I am more afraid of all the doc warned me about than I am afraid of dying, so I will keep doing what I can til it's time to go.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2020, 07:15:37 PM »
I'm on 4 drugs now... metformin, glypisde, pioglitizone and now jardiance. Still, I dunno. Frustrating.
Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2020, 08:44:10 PM »
I'm  type 2  also. I take the drugs, cut down on sweets, and exercise. Doc says it's  well-controlled. Luckily , I  like diet Pepsi otherwise .  .......
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2020, 03:16:15 PM »
I drink a soda about once a week. Not as lot of sugar.I'm sure that I could do better.
Marsh Wise