Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Wrong Choice Of Powder For A Flintlock.  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Wrong Choice Of Powder For A Flintlock.
« on: May 19, 2020, 06:20:06 PM »
This is the reason we do not use Pyrodex in a flintlock...

I was really surprised he actually got it to shoot - but watch the video... And, there's no wrecks, just wrong choice of powder for a flintlock.  I did message him to use real black powder...

Also, he did message me back and told me he did get some real black powder and tried his rifle again and was amazed at the ignition speed.

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: Wrong Choice Of Powder For A Flintlock.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 06:23:52 PM »
... and a reason to vet sources of information and data.   

that poor feller is The Worst source of flintlock info i've seen yet.

;banghead;   :Doh!   8)

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 07:03:16 PM »
The BS about muzzle loaders on youtube is just amazing.  Perhaps I need to do some youtube videos to counter act some of the misinformation being spread?
Steve Sells

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 07:06:00 PM »
The BS about muzzle loaders on youtube is just amazing.  Perhaps I need to do some youtube videos to counter act some of the misinformation being spread?

Steve I was looking for the like button and it would be a great "counter".
 :*:
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 07:58:49 PM »

I bet they'd learn a'lot from you Steve!  :hairy

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 10:56:44 AM »
I have never seen such consistently slow ignition on a flinter.  It was really kind of comical.  The really funny part is that the guy is stupid enough to put that on you tube.  I was thinking that if 144 people with his brain power were sitting around talking, you would have gross ignorance. :bigsmile:
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 11:03:03 AM »
I have never seen such consistently slow ignition on a flinter.  It was really kind of comical.  The really funny part is that the guy is stupid enough to put that on you tube.  I was thinking that if 144 people with his brain power were sitting around talking, you would have gross ignorance. :bigsmile:

:lol sign  :bl th up

To be honest, I was extremely surprised he made paper twice...  :o

That must be one of them there flinters you can pull the trigger, lay it down and go make a pot of coffee, come back / pick it up / and hold on target for when the shot goes off.  :laffing

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 06:16:48 PM »
He might not know much about flinters but he's an experienced shooter. I was watching his muzzle and he held it quite steady through those long ignitions. Tough to do shooting from your hind legs.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2024
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 08:15:37 PM »
He might not know much about flinters but he's an experienced shooter. I was watching his muzzle and he held it quite steady through those long ignitions. Tough to do shooting from your hind legs.

Very true Hank... I will give him credit for his follow through. I have my doubts I could hold on target that long after pulling the trigger.

Offline peterh

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 787
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 05:06:56 PM »
I did not think pyodex would work in a flint lock, after watching I will stick to BP

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 05:35:14 PM »
I did not think pyodex would work in a flint lock, after watching I will stick to BP

it'll work OK down the tube, but not in the pan.  this is where a flintlock demands the use of real black powder.

don't mean to offend, but if we're all attempting to preserve the muzzleloading past, meaning the 18th and 19th centuries in particular, that would require using real black powder. 

i get it about some folks complaining it's not available locally.  welcome to the new millennium's politics.  the answer is mail order (while it lasts - i kid you not, unfortunately).  group buys can really lower the price tag and ordering on a holiday sale will save more.  i buy 25lb lots for myself, which turns out cheaper than most folks will buy a pound or two locally.   

i'll leave that substitute NITRO powder crap to the inline folks.   :lol sign

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 06:22:38 PM »

it'll work OK down the tube, but not in the pan.  this is where a flintlock demands the use of real black powder.

don't mean to offend, but if we're all attempting to preserve the muzzleloading past, meaning the 18th and 19th centuries in particular, that would require using real black powder. 

i get it about some folks complaining it's not available locally.  welcome to the new millennium's politics.  the answer is mail order (while it lasts - i kid you not, unfortunately).  group buys can really lower the price tag and ordering on a holiday sale will save more.  i buy 25lb lots for myself, which turns out cheaper than most folks will buy a pound or two locally.   

i'll leave that substitute NITRO powder crap to the inline folks.   :lol sign

Even cheaper if you get a 25 lb bag instead of tins, or should I say plastic bottles now!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Doc Nock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 06:56:09 PM »
I'd never doubt Rob's word on anything but... I had/have a POS T/C that was a flinter in plastic stock and advertised to shoot pryodex pellets...

I did shoot it and it did go off, but my, oh my...

I never thought to use loose pyrodex or subs in the tube and real in the pan...

Oh, it went off, but I swear even from the bench you could touch it off, bend over and retie your boot lace, then sit up and take hold of the gun afore it ignited...weren't much good for offhand with it's rather shorter bbl...

it shot quick with real BP till I took it afield...either the after Christmas season was so cold the cone shaped removable breech plug got chilled or the main charge would rotate behind the cone (tepee shaped breech) and I had two flash no booms and that did it for me... after too pffts and no boom on deer (those ops weren't that plentiful in my home area) I just gave up flintlocks and that gun just sits...

It's only saving grace was/is a removable breech plug like some in-lines... but  I gave up entirely till Rob got me back into flints with a GPR....now moving to NE TN and I developed a bad gimp, coupled with no land access here, I Likely will be relegated to paper punching...

Offline Puffer

• TMA: Charter Member #133
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 05:46:56 PM »
I have(on occasion) trained BP/ML @ a BSA camp & they do not allow BP, (= so only used my "cappers"  :Doh!
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 06:21:03 PM »
a *good* flintlock gun mostly means it has a *GOOD* flint lock.    such a gun is a joy to shoot because it will spark and ignite really quickly as long as real black powder is used.  with a tuned jim chambers lock in the kibler colonial .54 i can get good ignition time with swiss 3f in the pan and down the tube.