Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: The other project  (Read 10031 times)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: The other project
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2021, 10:20:27 AM »
Looking GOOD!  :hairy
~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online KDubs

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2021, 10:57:30 AM »
Man sure looks like its coming along.
 I started my Fowler build,  your stock looks clean .
 Somehow mine is covered in inlet black . messy.
 Keep it going . it's looks good
Kevin

TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2021, 07:21:50 PM »
I did my wedge slots today and I have to wait for my hardware and furniture to arrive ,probably and hopefully not more than a week TOW has not shipped so far but the Hawkin shoppe did today ,laurel mountain  just ordered today but I don’t need that yet.I m gonna make my wedge plates but I need a trip to the coin  shoppe for junk silver ,every thing else except foofaraw  is iron. [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2021, 08:09:53 PM »
While I wait I may start fiddling with the cherry stock for the Fowler project  ,I had started before but the wood has issues and I found another piece of cherry thick enough for a stock in my supply.I wish that one could talk as it has just enough rough edges that it could be a native owned or a settler it has two tacks in the stock and a brass ring through the underrib as I stated before.it was won in an auction of local stuff by an antique dealer lady who worked with my wife in the county.
 Up to about 100 years ago in the Ramapo Mountains of southern N.Y and Northern N.J. There was an area populated by a people of mixed blood of white,black and Native American  extraction ,they were largely untouched by outsider until probably the 1920’s ,they dated back to pre revolution times, this is largely a history by word of mouth and local stories ,so there is a deal of truth to it,but much is conjecture,the auction where the Fowler originated was ,I believe,from that general area,so the hints of its heritage could be interesting but no real provenance until it starts jabbering!

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2021, 03:01:29 AM »
I’ve been busy,the hardware got here last week so I inletted the buttplate,the pipe is inletted but very stiff so almost inletted,I also made silver wedge plates ,they’re not final finished and by the time I finished making them they were smaller and thinner than I would like but once they are on ,what do they do- nothing right? So I will mount them and if they don’t look right,I’ll make more,speaking of these can they simply be pinned on with silver or brass tacks? I think I heard someone say they did them like that on early Rifles and there is no real need to ever take them off.I don’t think there will be a cheek piece the stock is not thick enough,although I have enough of the wood left to actually apply one,anybody ever done this? [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2021, 04:10:22 PM »
I think I heard someone say they did them like that on early Rifles and there is no real need to ever take them off.

Only time mine came off was when I cut a slot in the wedge to hold a pin installed behind the plates so the wedges are held captive.  Can't lose them in the field if I have to remove the barrel for some reason.

http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php?topic=22453.msg210753#msg210753

Track of the Wolf charges extra for a wedge so modified!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2021, 02:16:23 AM »
The only reason mine came off was I thought about using it for a model ,but,the Lyman wedge plates were longer than my pieces  of silver ,so I opted for making oval pieces of my own fashioning but similar to many offered at parts places,I may consider fancier ones and buy silver sheet,I used silver quarters and flattened them out really there’s is no need to flatten then for wedge plates just smooth off one side and shape and inlet I feel mine may be a bit thin but they only sit there with no mechanical stress or wear so...? I shaped the forend for the tips nd inletted the entry pipe tonight,lock and trigger come tomorrow [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2021, 05:48:32 AM »
Looks like she's come'n along nicely, good job!  :hairy :applaud
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2021, 01:50:51 PM »
Got these just now [ Invalid Attachment ]  now I have a whole rifle,I just have to put every thing in its right place and add some powder and lead and boom!

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2021, 01:56:15 PM »
Yes Sir, shes coming right along, building a rifle is like eating an Elephant!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2021, 12:19:30 AM »
I’m a little stalled right now to read up on lock inletting and I have to study on where to put the lock bolt(s) as this has no prepped hole for it,I am pretty sure I can deal with it,but I did not expect it ,or even realize it until tonight,the Lyman had only the one,I have had a few small foul ups that I worked around,but ,generally things have gone smoothly,but I have noticed that foul ups,even when you figure a way around,tend to effect other aspects and come back to haunt you,like right now,I am wondering if My mainspring might meet my ramrod hole when I inlet
 Don’t get me wrong,I am enjoying this and learning,I have found ways to do things that would be easier than the way I did them,.
 I notice just now the Lyman lock has an xtra strong boss hilt up for its single bolt ,is this to imply that I should use 2 lock bolts to secure mine?

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2021, 01:03:05 PM »
From checking it out I see I do need to use 2 bolts now and change the lock bolt layout any way as the mainspring is where the single Lyman lock bolt threaded in. You learn something every day wether you want to or not!

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2021, 06:29:15 PM »
Yes Sir, shes coming right along, building a rifle is like eating an Elephant!

You are right, Jim.

I always I always had trouble with elephant ear sandwiches.  Finding buns large enough for them was the big problem.   :bigsmile:

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2021, 08:16:29 AM »
Here’s a question,why are mainspring vises designed as they are,with a long bar?I have and old hand vise I have used for mainsprings and a machinist parallel clamp and needle nose vise grips all  [ Invalid Attachment ] work and control the compression degree of the leaf spring in locks ,is there a reason the bar spreads the pressure across the length of the spring or a reason not use a compressor tool that places the force on a small area of the spring? I fully understand the need of not scratching springs,but was curious about the design reasons.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2021, 09:54:24 PM »
I did finally screw up,and I don’t know how bad this is,it’s not game over but it seems my flash guard is ahead of my stock there is a,maybe 1/8” gap between them,this is ignorance on my part until I started inletting the lock I was only vaguely aware of something called a flash guard or the reason for that little curved section of wood ,does not seem terrible to me,hardly even noticed it before!

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609